Leader in Health Sciences Scholarships are prestigious renewable awards offered to students applying to the University of Calgary on the basis of their high school grades and who are entering the first year of the Bachelor of Health Sciences degree program in the Cumming School of Medicine in the Fall Term.
- Value: $15,000 and assured admission to the MD program upon completion of the Bachelor of Health Sciences program. Renewable.
- Eligibility: Open to Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents entering the Bachelor of Health Sciences degree program in the Cumming School of Medicine in the Fall Term.
- The scholarship average is based on the final grades of four Grade 11 courses (or the final grades of Grade 12 courses, if available).
- Application: Submit the High School Awards application, available November 1 through the MyUofC portal (https://my.ucalgary.ca). In submitting this application by the early deadline of December 15 of the year prior to entering the university, applicants are considered for all competitive high school awards including the Chancellor's Club Scholarships. Submit the Bachelor of Health Sciences (BHSc) Supplementary Admission Application by January 5.
REMINDER: As part of the process of applying for admission, the University of Calgary issues a UCID number to each prospective student. This UCID number (or student ID) is required to apply for student awards. Admission to the University of Calgary is not required before applying for awards.
- Notification: Recipients are notified by email in March, and must accept their award through the MyUofC portal (https://my.ucalgary.ca).
- Registration Requirement: Recipients must maintain full-time enrolment in a minimum of 30.00 units through the upcoming Fall and Winter Terms.
- Payment: Award funds are split into two equal payments over Fall and Winter Terms, and are automatically applied to outstanding tuition and fees.
- Renewability: Renewable at $15,000 in second, third and fourth year at the University of Calgary provided the student earns a minimum GPA of 3.40 on a minimum of 30.00 units over the previous Fall and Winter Terms, and completes a minimum of 30.00 units in the upcoming Fall and Winter Terms. Recipients must also provide the Cumming School of Medicine with evidence of their continued contribution to school life and/or community service.
- Spring and summer courses are not used to reduce course load requirements, nor are they used in calculating the GPA required for renewal.