Submitted by dldesros on Fri, 09/13/2013 - 11:33am
Leaders in Sport Injury and Prevention Research
The University of Calgary Sport Injury Prevention Research Centre (SIPRC) is one of nine International Research Centres for the Prevention of Injury and Protection of Athlete Health supported by the International Olympic Committee. We focus on reducing the risk of injury in sport and recreation, with particular emphasis on injury prevention for children and adolescents. In collaboration with our community partners, we aim to develop and implement injury prevention and management strategies, with the goal of promoting healthy, lifelong physical activity participation.
If you have any comments or wish to contact us regarding the site, click here .
Bantam & Midget ice hockey players needed for research study. Click here for more information.
In the News
- Doctors can now predict duration of a child's concussion symptoms. Click here to read more, March 2016
- Concussions: A personal perspective by Ash Kolstad. Click here to view the video, January 2016
Is your school participating in the iSPRINT study? Do you need to download the study forms? Students have been given a consent package to return to their teacher. To download a copy of the consent form for your reference, click here.
Injury prevention programs in youth soccer can cut health-care costs
Sport is the leading cause of injury in youth, accounting for more than 30 per cent of all injuries. A new study by University of Calgary researchers published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine found that not only does a neuromuscular training warm-up program prevent injury in youth soccer, it also saves millions of dollars in health-care costs. “Injuries in youth sport and recreation are a significant public burden in Alberta,” says the paper’s senior author, Carolyn Emery, PhD, of the Faculty of Kinesiology. Click here to read more of this UToday article. For more links on this coverage: CBC News CVT News Global News
- Safety 2016: 12th World Conference on Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion, Tampere, Finland, Sept 18-21, 2016
- 5th International Consensus Conference on Concussion in Sport, Berlin, Germany, October 26-27, 2016
- IOC World Conference on Prevention of Injury and Illness in Sport, Monte Carlo, Monaco, March 16-18, 2017