After weeks of campaigning and candidate forums, undergraduate students at the University of Calgary have elected a new slate of student leaders for 2017-18. Branden Cave is the new president-elect, capturing 36 per cent of votes. Cave served as the vice-president (operations and finance) for the SU in 2016-17. The new vice-president (external) will be Shubir Shaikh who had 56 per cent of the vote.
Tina Miller will be the new vice-president (academic), garnering 61 per cent of the vote. Ryan Wallace won the vice-president (operations and finance) with 70 per cent of the vote, and Hilary Jahelka takes on the role of vice-president (student life) with 46 per cent of the vote.
The two Senate representative positions will be filled by Alisha Gordon and Julie Le who captured 35 per cent and 39 per cent of the votes respectively. Sam Sirianni was elected as the Board of Governors representative with 57 per cent of the vote. The positions of faculty representative social work and faculty representative Werkland School of Education remain vacant. Vacant positions are filled during the Students’ Union’s annual byelection in October.
Voter turnout this year increased by 0.46 per cent to 25.16 per cent of eligible student voters with 6,445 students casting a ballot. These results become official on March 20, 2017.
Newly elected officials will be sworn into office on Friday, April 28, 2017 at the annual Students’ Union’s Colour Night ceremony. Over the summer months, this new team of capable young leaders will be engaged in strategic planning to take the Students’ Union into the 2017 fall semester.
Other results include:
The Students’ Legislative Council (SLC) also consists of 19 faculty representatives. The number of faculty representatives sitting on SLC corresponds with the number of students in a given faculty. Three faculty representative positions were won through acclamation. The following faculty representatives will serve on the 75th Students’ Legislative Council.
- Faculty Representatives Arts (4): Nabila Farid, Frank Finley, Sumaira Islam, and Puncham Judge
- Faculty Representatives Cumming School of Medicine (2): Gurleen Brar, Sarah Park
- Faculty Representatives Schulich School of Engineering (2): Chinmoy Ayachit, Manpreet Deol
- Faculty Representatives Haskayne School of Business (2): Nik Golob, Lucas Ocampo
- Faculty Representative Kinesiology: Sagar Grewal
- Faculty Representative Science (3): Kevin Dang, Kayla Huggard, Omer Mansoor
The chief returning officer declared the following students as faculty representatives by acclamation:
- Faculty Representative Law: Bassam Saifeddine
- Faculty Representative Nursing: Jessica Revington
- Faculty Representative Veterinary Medicine: Brenna Ford