Leadership and Student Engagement Office Awards
These awards recognize the accomplishments of highly engaged undergraduate students, their contributions to their communities on and off campus, and their pursuit to better themselves and invest in the lives of others.
The Alyson Woloshyn Legacy of Leadership and Alison Heal Memorial awards honor the lasting impact of their work on the lives of many students, and their immense contributions to student affairs at the University of Calgary.
The Peer Helper of the Year Award recognizes a student who has demonstrated exceptional character and/or gone above and beyond in fulfilling the responsibilities of their Peer Helper role.
Alyson Woloshyn Legacy of Leadership Award
Beginning her work at the University of Calgary in 2003, Alyson Woloshyn laid the foundation of the university’s student leadership programs. In every part of her work, she demonstrated a true dedication to mentoring, leading others to achieve their own successes and making others shine. In memory of Woloshyn, this honorific award recognizes an outstanding continuing undergraduate student whose contributions to the university and Calgary communities mirror Woloshyn’s commitment to developing others and improving the student experience.
Alison Heal Memorial Award
Over her 29-year career with the University of Calgary, Alison Heal was known for her commitment to mentoring students and young student affairs professionals. She also demonstrated a unique combination of strategic thinking and creative vision, which not only helped shape key initiatives at UCalgary, but also impacted how the university considers the needs of students in student affairs. The Alison Heal Memorial Award both celebrates and continues Heal’s student affairs legacy. This $2,000 award is open to continuing undergraduate students who plan to pursue a career in student affairs.
Essay deadline: By 11:59 p.m. on Monday, April 13, 2020
Award recipient announced: Late April.
To be eligible for this award a student must be:
- In good academic standing
- A current undergraduate student
- Intending to pursue a career in student affairs, with preference for those candidates who intend to pursue graduate study
To apply for this award, please complete the online form and submit a 1,500 word essay that addresses the following questions:
- Describe your plan for a career in student affairs, and detail the related educational requirements that you hope to achieve in meeting your objectives
- Detail how you’ve demonstrated commitment to the development of your own leadership skills while pursuing study at the University of Calgary
- Detail your co-curricular involvement at the University of Calgary, including comment on the positive impact that your involvement has had on the development of others and/or a building a sense of community on campus
- Describe your areas of talent and strength, and comment on areas that you hope to develop further
Peer Helper of the Year Award
This award, built around the three pillars that ground the Peer Helper Program (career development, self-awareness, and building campus community) recognizes the amazing work Peer Helpers do every day to contribute to the offices and programs they work with and in improving the student experience on-campus. This award also recognizes a student who has demonstrated exceptional character and gone above and beyond in fulfilling the responsibilities of their Peer Helper role.