ucalgarycares Single Day Events
Are you looking to get involved in the community, but not ready to make a week long commitment? Explore our single day programs, including Day of Service, Tzedakah-Sadaqah and more!
The Day and Night of Service
The Day of Service are single day service programs where you and your peers can volunteer your time at a community organization in Calgary. The applications for the January 2020 event have now closed.
Winter Night of Service placement information
Get engaged with the ucalgarycares Night of Service, a free one-day program where you and other UCalgary students will help to make a difference in the lives of marginalized peoples in the city.
The Children’s Cottage Society prevents harm and neglect to all children by building strong families through support services, respite programs and crisis nurseries. They offer non-judgmental programs and services aimed at helping parents through a crisis regardless of what their circumstances may be. Families can receive support and necessary resources while staying together in a safe, home like environment. To learn more, please visit their website.
- Where is it: The Children’s Cottage Society, Brenda’s House 1921 28th Street SW (Meet at the Leadership and Student Engagement office)
- When is it: January 28th, 2020 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- What you’ll be doing: The group will help with cleaning and sorting the Child Development Centre
- Equipment Needed for Activity: Casual clothes and closed toe shoes. Please tie long hair back if in the kitchen.
Ronald McDonald House (RMH) Southern Alberta helps to keep families together by providing a home away from home for out-of-town families with sick children receiving medical attention in a Calgary hospital. To learn more about the RMH, please visit their website.
- Where is it: Ronald McDonald House Charities (Meet at the Leadership and Student Engagement office)
- When is it: January 28th, 2020 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- What you’ll be doing: Helping out with baking at the House for the families that are staying with us.
More than an emergency shelter, The Calgary Drop-in has been providing health services, employment training and housing support to Calgary’s homeless, marginalized and low-income residents since 1961. The Calgary Drop-In Centre exists to alleviate poverty. They care for chronically homeless people with community supports, resources, and housing as well as collaborating with stakeholders. To learn more about The Calgary Drop-In and Rehabilitation Centre, please visit their website.
- Where is it: Calgary Drop-In and Rehabilitation Centre SW (Meet at the Leadership and Student Engagement office)
- When is it: January 28, 2020 from 5:45 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- What you’ll be doing: You and your team will help vulnerable Calgarians end their day with a full stomach by lending a hand to serve a meal. This small but transformative gesture will leave a lasting impact on you and the men and women you serve.
Day of Service
Partner organizations for the September 2019 Day of Service include:
- The Calgary Drop-In and Rehab Centre
- Dress for Success
- Habitat for Humanity
- Ronald McDonald House
- The Women in Need Society
Night of Service
Partner organizations for the January 2020 Night of Service include:
- Brenda’s House (Children’s Cottage)
- Ronald McDonald House Charities
- Calgary Drop-In and Rehabilitation Centre
Tzedakah-Sadaqah*: A Series of Intercultural Service Project
Join the Faith & Spirituality Centre in partnership with the Leadership and Student Engagement office as we explore what “service” means. We collaborate with various religious and spiritual communities in Calgary and offer a diverse range of educational workshops, organized volunteer opportunities and critical reflections/debriefs.
*Tzedakah derives from Hebrew meaning righteousness, fairness or justice and is often used to refer to charity obligations. Sadaqah is an Arabic word means charity and comes from the tradition of Islam.
What: A series of intercultural, interreligious service projects
Where: Various community centres and places of worship across the city
Examples of previous programs include:
- The Jewish Community Centre
- Shia Muslim Community
- Fort Calgary Community Garden
- Sisters in Spirit – Indigenous Community
- Dashmesh Cultural Centre
- Baitun Nur Mosque - Ahmadiyya Muslim Community
- UN World Interfaith Dinner
Check back in September 2020 for new events!