International Student Mentorship Program
The International Student Mentorship Program connects new international students (known as “mentees”) with current UCalgary students volunteers (known as “mentors”).
The objectives of the International Student Mentorship Program include:
- To welcome new international students to the University of Calgary community
- To provide peer-advice about adapting to Calgary and the University
- To build connections among newly-arrived students and current UCalgary students
Once mentors are matched with a new international student (mentee), they will correspond by email prior to the new student’s arrival in Calgary. Once in Calgary, students will meet with each other at a social “Meet and Greet” at the start of the semester. Students are encouraged to continue to check-in with each other on a monthly basis by email and in-person throughout the semester.
Important Dates: Fall Semester
- Deadline for mentors to apply: May 31, 2020
- Deadline for mentees to apply: mid September (exact date to be confirmed)
- Date for Mentorship Welcome Reception: September (exact date to be confirmed)
- Monthly events: throughout semester, dates to be finalized
Requests for mentors leading into fall 2020 (Sept. 2020) will open June 2020.
Mentors are current students (any returning Canadian, international, undergraduate, or graduate students) who volunteer to support incoming international students, by answering questions about campus and Canadian life, sharing relevant experiences, and attending events with their mentees.
Mentors must submit an application and register for a Mentor Information Session. The Mentor Information Sessions provide instruction on how to respond to common questions (for example, related to campus housing, using the UCalgary student portal, buying textbooks, or getting around Calgary). After completing training, mentors will be intentionally matched with an incoming student in a similar area and level of study.
- Submit an application & register for a Mentor Information Session
- Correspond with mentee via email at least once a month prior to their arrival in Calgary and throughout the academic semester
- Attend Mentorship Welcome Reception (date to be confirmed) with your mentee
- Encouraged to also meet up with mentee throughout semester to attend monthly Global Cafe events
- Submit monthly Communication Log Surveys and one Experience Report at end of semester in order to receive recognition on Co-Curricular Record (more information provided during training)
Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Mentees are incoming international students (undergraduate, graduate, or exchange) who are new to life at the university, Calgary, and Canada! Mentees are interested in enhancing their student experience by:
- learning more about life in Calgary and on campus
- connecting with a returning student from the same faculty
- participating in fun, social events on campus
Participating as a mentee is an important and strongly recommended step of the New International Student Checklist.
Before you arrive in Calgary:
- Request a mentor (will open in June for Fall 2020 term)
- Regularly check your email for messages from mentor
Once you arrive in Calgary:
- Attend Mentorship Welcome Reception (in September) with your mentor
- Encouraged to also meet up with mentor throughout semester to attend monthly events
- Submit end-of-semester feedback survey