Getting Around

Calgary is a city on the move! While there are a lot of cars in our city, there are also alternative methods of transportation which we list here.

Getting Around

The UCalgary main campus is easy to get around. You can walk from one side of campus to the other in about 15-20 minutes. If you need to go between the Main, Foothills, Spy Hill and Downtown campuses, public transit will be your best option, There is a map of the different campuses online, and a room finder tool that you can use to help you find your classes!

Riding a bike is a cheap and sustainable option for most of the year! Cycling can save you money on buses and taxis, and allow you to get around quicker.  Check out these resources for more information about biking in Calgary:

Bike Safety and Tips

  • Bike helmets are mandatory for anyone under 18, but strongly recommended for everyone
  • Do NOT ride bicycles on the sidewalk or on major highways
  • Make use of the bike pathways whenever possible
  • Cyclists must follow the same road rules as drivers: stop for red lights and stop signs, use hand signals and stay on the right side of the road.
  • Bike theft can be a problem, so make sure to lock up your bicycle securely

Many buses now have bike racks and during certain hours you are also allowed to take your bike on the C-Train.

Taking transit is a great way to get around Calgary. Most major destinations in Calgary are accessible by bus and/or C-Train (Light Railway Transit). Transit services are run by Calgary Transit – their website is a great resource to find out how to get between destinations, check buses and trains are running on schedule and find out more about fares and passes. 

  • The closed C-Train station to campus is University Station. It is on the Red line. For some destinations in the Northeast or West of Calgary, you may need to transfer to the Blue line.
  • Trains run approximately every 5 minutes during peak times, and every 10-15 minutes outside of peak hours.

UPassAll Undergraduate and Graduate students registered full-time at the University of Calgary are automatically enrolled for a UPASS, UPASS is a sticker that is placed on your student identification card. It allows you unlimited public transit access for the semester. It is compulsory for all full-time Undergraduate and Graduate students.

The Upass Centre is located in Science B, Room 140B. It is open Mondays and Thursdays from 10-1pm. It is closed on all University holidays.

If you have questions about the U-Pass – check out the website!

The following is an excerpt from the Government of Alberta - Service Alberta Website

To drive in Alberta, you must have your valid home jurisdiction drivers license and an International Driver's Permit. You may drive in Alberta for up to 1 yearYou should also carry a copy of your valid study permit and a current enrolment verification letter from the University of Calgary in order to drive legally in Alberta.

If you plan to purchase a vehicle in Alberta, you will require an Alberta Driver’s Licence. You may apply for this once you arrive in Alberta and you will need to do so in order to qualify for auto insurance. Depending on how long you have been driving in your home country and the country that issued your license, you may have to take both a written test and a driving test to qualify for an Alberta Driver’s licence.

  • If you have further questions about obtaining a Albertan Drivers’ License or you want to begin the process – you can visit a registry office.
  • Seat belts: Wearing a seat belt is mandatory for the driver and passengers at all times. Passengers over age 18 are fined if they are not wearing a seat belt. The driver is fined if children are not wearing seat belts.
  • Speed limits are in kilometres per hour (km/h). Urban and populated areas range from 30-60 km/h; 100 km/h on city highways. Speed limits are well posted.

Hitchhiking is not allowed on major highways. It is not advised anywhere.

Car Rentals: You may rent a car using either your Alberta Driver’s Licence or your license from your home country. However, different car rental companies have their own policies regarding who may rent cars in the province. Generally the cheapest rates are usually offered to drivers 25 years of age and older. Younger drivers may be subject to additional fees. Most companies will require you to have a credit card in order to reserve and rent a car, as well as at least two pieces of Government-issued photo identification in addition to your driver’s license.

  • The taxi fare is calculated by a meter, not the driver, so the amount of money the driver asks for cannot be negotiated. The fare is displayed on the electronic meter beside the driver.
  • You can ask for an estimate of the fare if you call ahead and book a ride.
  • You can wave for a taxi along any street - there are no designated taxi waiting lines.
  • Please note that taking a taxi (cab) can be a very expensive way to travel around the city. 
  • Ridesharing services like Uber also operate in Calgary.