Travelling While You're a Student

Ensure you have the proper documents to travel to and enter Canada.

  • Yes, you can. However your study permit is not a travel document. Your study permit gives you legal status to stay in Canada as a student. Together with your valid study permit, in order to return to Canada you may need:
    - a visitor visa (Temporary Resident Visa - TRV) or
    - an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • Find out if you need a visa or an eTA:
  • You must have a valid study permit to be able to apply for a new TRV from within Canada. If your study permit is about to expire, please first apply for the new study permit. Once your new study permit arrives in the mail to your Canadian address, you may apply for your new TRV.
  • You cannot apply for your study permit extension and a new TRV at the same time. It is a two-step process when applying from within Canada.
  • You must apply for a new TRV online through your account on the Government of Canada's Immigration website if you have access to a major credit card. You may hold onto your passport until it is requested by IRCC.
  • Please refer the document checklist to determine what you documents you will need:
  • Once your TRV has been approved, you will be either emailed a notification letter, or one will be provided to you in your MyAccount. This letter will provide you a link with instructions on how to mail your passport to Ottawa. You must include this letter with your passport when you mail it to Ottawa, the letter has a barcode on it that is needed to finalize the processing of your TRV.
  • If you are applying for an initial immigration document from outside of Canada (such as a Study Permit), you should automatically be given an eTA with the approval of your application. This will be indicated on your document approval letter.
  • Check to see your eTA is still valid
  • If you did not apply for an immigration document, or are already inside of Canada, you can apply online and it should only take around 10 minutes to complete the application.
  • You will be asked to provide basic biographical information, passport information, the amount of funds you have available for your visit, and contact information. This may change so please always check the website for updated information.
  • To apply, please go here: