International Student Services Advising

International Student Services (ISS) provides drop-in immigration and non-academic advising for all international students. ISS is located in room MSC 275 (MacEwan Student Centre). We are here to help!

Canadian Immigration Advising

Canadian Immigration Advising

International Student Services (ISS) has Regulated Immigration Advisors who are legally authorized to help with questions related to the following:

  • Canadian immigration (including study permits, work permits, and visas)
  • Canadian immigration options for partners/spouses and dependents of UCalgary students

In-person Drop-in Advising: unless the University is closed. Please have your UCalgary ID card with you. This is a 15-minute advising session. Please come to another drop-in session should you have more questions after the 15-minute advising session. (Closed from 12-1 pm)

  • Tuesday: 10 am - 12 pm and 1 - 4 pm 
  • Wednesday: 9 am - 12 pm and 1 - 4 pm 
  • Thursday: 9 am - 12 pm and 1 - 4 pm 


Permanent Residence (PR) Advising

Our PR Specialist Advisor can provide guidance on options for students. Students first must attend a PR information session to receive general information. After the session, you may then book an individual appointment with our PR Specialist Advisor.

  • You can register for a Permanent Residency Information Session through the events calendar. Registration is required.
  • After attending an Information Session, you can book an appointment with the PR advisor. View the instructions to book an appointment here

Non-Academic, Non-Immigration Advising



Transition Advising

Whether you are a new student or have been studying at UCalgary for several years, you may questions or uncertainties about life at UCalgary, in Calgary, or Canada. Our advisors are here to help answer questions about getting settled in Calgary, finding community, and connecting with resources on or off-campus! We are a great place to start if you have a question and do not know where to go. Some examples of topics we can help you with are:

  • Setting up a Canadian bank account
  • Getting a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • Understanding your medical insurance options
  • Understanding how to access health & wellness services
  • Learning about resources for family members (partners/spouses & children)
  • Accessing offices or resources on campus that can help you succeed in your personal or academic life
  • Participating in social or leadership opportunities to build your social network in Calgary

How to Access Advising

Internationals Student Services (ISS) has International Student Transition Support Advisor who can provide guidance for non-academic, non-immigration advising. 

Winter 2022

  • By request only. Contact