Travelling While You're a Student

Ensure you have the proper documents to travel to and enter Canada.

  • Yes, you can. However your study permit is not a travel document. Your study permit gives you legal status to stay in Canada as a student. Together with your valid study permit, in order to return to Canada you may need:
    - a visitor visa (Temporary Resident Visa - TRV) or
    - an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • Find out if you need a visa or an eTA:
  • You must have a valid study permit to be able to apply for a new TRV from within Canada. If your study permit is about to expire, please first apply for the new study permit. Once your new study permit arrives in the mail to your Canadian address, you may apply for your new TRV.
  • You cannot apply for your study permit extension and a new TRV at the same time. It is a two-step process when applying from within Canada.
  • You must apply for a new TRV online through your account on the Government of Canada's Immigration website if you have access to a major credit card. You may hold onto your passport until it is requested by IRCC.
  • Please refer the document checklist to determine what you documents you will need:
  • Once your TRV has been approved, you will be either emailed a notification letter, or one will be provided to you in your MyAccount. This letter will provide you a link with instructions on how to mail your passport to Ottawa. You must include this letter with your passport when you mail it to Ottawa, the letter has a barcode on it that is needed to finalize the processing of your TRV.
  • If you are applying for an initial immigration document from outside of Canada (such as a Study Permit), you should automatically be given an eTA with the approval of your application. This will be indicated on your document approval letter.
  • Check to see your eTA is still valid
  • If you did not apply for an immigration document, or are already inside of Canada, you can apply online and it should only take around 10 minutes to complete the application.
  • You will be asked to provide basic biographical information, passport information, the amount of funds you have available for your visit, and contact information. This may change so please always check the website for updated information.
  • To apply, please go here:

It is important to ensure that your immigration medical exam is valid prior to travel to Canada.  The department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may cancel visas for students whose medicals have expired.  

Validity of a Medical Exam 

An immigration medical exam is valid only for a period of 1 year from the date the exam was taken.  You’ll find the date on the up-front immigration e-medical document.

What to do if your Medical will Expire Prior to Travel? 

  • STEP 1: You must complete a new immigration medical.  Please refer to the list of designated medical practitioners for your country on the IRCC’s website HERE. 
  • STEP 2: Upon completion of your medical exam, send an update to the IRCC via webform.

What to do if your Medical has Expired? 

  • STEP 1: You must complete a new immigration medical.  Please refer to the list of designated medical practitioners for your country on the IRCC’s website HERE
  • STEP 2: You must update the IRCC with your new medical exam via a visa office specific webform submission.  Please find your designated visa office’s webform on the IRCC’s website HERE
  • STEP 3: Verify in your MyIRCC Portal if your visa has been cancelled.  If your visa has been cancelled, you do not need to submit a new application to the IRCC.  The IRCC will update your file with your new medical exam and will “re-activate” your visa.  You can verify the reactivation of your visa in your MyIRCC Portal. 

Do not book travel to Canada until your visa has been re-activated. 


Airline staff, in the country of origin, will deny boarding to travellers destined to Canada if their immigration medical is expired.