Motor and Psychosocial Aspects of Movement in Kinesiology

Bachelor of Science


Congratulations on being accepted into a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology degree in the Faculty of Kinesiology.

Kinesiology is a multi-disciplinary science that includes study in the areas of anatomy, biomechanics, physiology, psychomotor behaviour, and social and cultural factors. The Faculty of Kinesiology is committed to training professionals who will have a strong foundation in the study of movement and sport health, both theoretically and practically.

Bachelor of Science degrees are offered as either a BSc or BSc (Honours). They both require the completion of 120 credits and can be completed in four years of full-time study.

Motor and Psychosocial Aspects of Movement in Kinesiology major

Motor and Psychosocial Aspects of Movement in Kinesiology Majors should register for Kinesiology 251 and 253, and Psychology 200 and 201 early in their program.

Courses required in your first year

Remember to register for both fall and winter semesters at the same time.

Students can plan their courses to fit their specific academic interests and personal schedules but are strongly encouraged to register in Kinesiology 201259, and 260 in the first year as these are pre-requisite for many KNES courses.

Students should focus on 200-level required courses during the first two years of study. This information can be found in the University Calendar. Students are also strongly encouraged to consult with the Kinesiology Undergraduate Advising Office.

The Faculty of Kinesiology offers both Bachelor of Kinesiology and Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology degree programs.

In the Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology program, you can choose from majors in Biomechanics, Exercise and Health Physiology, Kinesiology or Motor and Psychosocial Aspects of Movements.

Students working towards a Bachelor of Science degree need to ensure that they complete at least 63 units of science-designated course work. The courses which can be counted as science equivalents are listed in the University Calendar under "Additional Requirements for Bachelor of Science Programs."

Explore all the different majors the Faculty of Kinesiology has to offer »

Kinesiology Undergraduate Advising Office

If you are coming to the University of Calgary with Advanced Placement credit or International Baccalaureate credit, you will follow the same registration process as any first time university student. You may be eligible to use your transfer credit in your degree program depending on the program you have entered and whether or not the courses are applicable. Look for International Baccalaureate credit information at and Advanced Placement information at

You may view your transfer credit by logging in to your online Student Centre. Once you know the transfer credit you have received you may contact the Kinesiology Undergraduate Advising Office to get advice on course selection.

Generally, students must complete 18 units at the junior (200-level) before they are allowed to register in 300-level courses. However, if you received IB or AP credit for a 200-level course, you may take the 300-level course that has your 200-level course listed as a prerequisite.

Practicum Opportunities: Get a head start on your career while finishing your degree. Kinesiology practicum courses are available to third and fourth year students and are a great way to explore different professions and gain valuable work experience. Students should contact the Kinesiology Practicum Coordinator for further information.

The Kinesiology Student Society: Help plan many fun and exciting events throughout the year for Kinesiology students.

International Study Opportunities: Experience different cultures, gain a better understanding of world issues, and travel around the globe, all while earning credit towards your degree. The University of Calgary offers exchanges and study abroad programs in 61 different countries.

Community Service-Learning: Combine your classroom learning with volunteer work that achieves community goals, and see first-hand how your academic learning relates to social issues.

Co-Curricular Record: Have your out-of-classroom experiences such as volunteer work, leadership training and club involvement documented on a Co-Curricular Record, an official document sanctioned by the University of Calgary. The Co-Curricular Record is the first of its kind in Western Canada.