Visual Studies

Bachelor of Fine Arts

Courses required in your first year

Fall semester

One of Art 235 or 241 or 243 or 251 or 271

English Option3 or Non-Art Option1

Winter semester

One of Art 235 or 241 or 251

English Option3 or Non-Art Option1


1. Non-Art Options are to be selected from courses offered by programs outside of the Department of Art.

2. Students are required to complete either Art History 201 or Art History 203.

3. Students are required to complete 3 units of English, this can be completed at the 200 level in first year or be completed in any subsequent years.


Remember to register for both fall and winter semesters at the same time.

For further information please contact:
Telephone: 403.220.3580

Studying for a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree means that you are a student in the Faculty of Arts.

As a student in a Bachelor of Fine Arts, you can complete a major in either Visual Studies, Dance or Drama. In general, your major refers to the subject area you’d like your Bachelor of Fine Arts degree to focus on (i.e. Bachelor of Fine Arts, major in Drama).

In addition to a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, the Faculty of Arts offers Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Music, and Bachelor of Science degree programs. From Archeology to Visual Studies, there are numerous majors and programs to choose from within the Faculty of Arts.

If you are coming to the University of Calgary with Advanced Placement credit or International Baccalaureate credit, you will follow the same registration process as any first time university student. You may be eligible to use your transfer credit in your degree program depending on the program you have entered and whether or not the courses are applicable. Look for International Baccalaureate credit information at and Advanced Placement information at

You may view your transfer credit by logging in to your online Student Centre. Once you know the transfer credit you have received, you may contact the academic advisor in your faculty to get advice on course selection.

Generally, students must complete 18 units at the junior (200-level) before they are allowed to register in 300-level courses. However, if you received IB or AP credit for a 200-level course, you may take the 300-level course that has your 200-level course listed as a prerequisite.

Study Abroad: Experience different cultures, gain a better understanding of world issues, and travel around the globe, all while earning credit towards your degree. The University of Calgary offers exchanges and study abroad programs in 61 different countries.

Community Service-Learning: Combine your classroom learning with volunteer work that achieves community goals, and see first-hand how your academic learning relates to social issues.

Co-Curricular Record: Have your out-of-classroom experiences such as volunteer work, leadership training and club involvement documented on a Co-Curricular Record, an official document sanctioned by the University of Calgary. The Co-Curricular Record is the first of its kind in Western Canada.

Drama Undergraduate Society (DUS): Join a dedicated and energetic group of students who have a genuine passion for all aspects of theatre. The DUS organizes fund-raisers, social activities, workshops and other theatre events geared toward supporting and helping students.