Learn eligibility requirements to participate in the DS4Y Program.
Internship Hosting Organization (IHO)
Eligible employers include:
Profit or non-profit organizations
Must have 500 employees or less
Commit to supervising and mentoring Youth Interns
NOTE: Business/Organization cannot be home-based.
To participate in the DS4Y Program, eligible participants (interns) must meet the following criteria:
- be between the ages of 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- completed post-secondary studies
- be legally entitled to work in Canada
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada
- must not be in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) during the internship
- self-assess as underemployed, meaning they are employed below their level of education and/or hold part-time employment
Continuing Education has identified six training pathways to complete the Digital Skills for Youth program with the University of Calgary. The options are all available through online learning, with classroom learning available in Calgary. Interns as part of the DS4Y program will be working and learning simultaneously.
Why hire a DS4Y Intern?
All DS4Y Interns are recent graduates from diploma or degree programs and come from a wide range of cultural and educational backgrounds. By hiring a DS4Y intern you could benefit by growing your workforce and reducing staffing costs while giving a new grad a great start on their career!
How to hire a DS4Y Intern
Please follow the steps below to register (registration for the program is free of charge).
- Log in to your CareerLink account (If you do not have a CareerLink account, you can register for free through this link - https://careerlink.ucalgary.ca/home.htm - Top left hand corner ‘Register’. Once it is approved, you can log in and its straight forward from there)
- Click on 'Career Services' tab on the left hand navigation bar
- Click on 'Register – DS4Y Program'
- After reading through the program information, click on 'Apply'
- Complete the registration form
- Click 'Next' and double check the information
- Click 'Finish Registration'
- How to set a wage for the DS4Y Internship? - The payment cannot exceed the minimum wage rate per hour mentioned in Canada Job Bank
- Once you are approved, post a job on our DS4Y Job Board
- Log in to your CareerLink account
- Click on the "DS4Y" tab on the bottom left-hand side of the navigation bar
(NOTE: Make sure you are posting the position on the DS4Y job board and not the UofC wide job board).
- Click on the "Job Postings" tab
- Click on "Post a New Job"
- Fill in all the required fields clearly and accurately
(NOTE: This posting will qualify as your project description for DS4Y as an IHO)
- Click on "Submit Posting for Approval"
- You will receive a confirmation email once the position has been approved and posted.
(NOTE: Wage subsidies up to $10,500 are available, and work terms have to be at a minimum of six months at 30 hours per week). Please make sure all the information on the job posting is accurate and up to date.
- DS4Y Students currently enrolled in the program will begin applying for the posted positions. You will receive their applications through your CareerLink account.
- NOTE: If you would like to book an interview room here at Career Services, please make a booking through your CareerLink account. Please make sure to specify that you are booking a room to interview a DS4Y intern.
- If and only if, you are unable to find a suitable candidate out of our currently enrolled cohort, you can then follow the steps below
(NOTE: For employers outside of Alberta, you can move directly to recruiting an external candidate)
- Post the position externally at provincial or territorial employment and social development Canada, Service Canada centres, local community colleges or universities, online at job fairs or other appropriate venues. Please make sure to contact the DS4Y program Coordinator for Government of Canada wordmarks and DS4Y branding which has to be used for all promotion purposes
NOTE: Interns hired externally still have to meet the DS4Y eligibility criteria and enroll into training pathways. Please make sure your roles are aligned with the training pathways offered.
- Once you find your candidate either internally or externally, contact the DS4Y Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the intern and the position you want to hire for.
- If you are hiring external to the program
- Instruct the intern to apply (student application) to the DS4Y program through this link – Student Registration
- Interns will receive an offer to the program, along with next steps (including instructions to register into a training pathway that aligns best with their internship)
- The program coordinator will provide you with a Project Agreement Contract and other forms (Participant Information Form & the Supplier Request Form) to complete and return. Once the forms have been signed and completed, the Intern may begin their internship.
- If you are hiring an intern already a part of the program, the program coordinator will provide you with a Project Agreement Contract and other forms (Participant Information Form & the Supplier Request Form) to complete and return. Once the forms have been signed and completed, the Intern may begin their internship.
NOTE: All interns as part of this program have to enroll into Training Pathways.
- The IHO can submit their reimbursement requests through CareerLink – Wage Subsidy Request Form. Once the intern has completed 3 months (Mid-Internship) and then again at 6 months (completion of Internship).
- Log in to your CareerLink account
- On your Dashboard, centre top click on ‘Submit A Form’
- Under Category – Select ‘Wage Subsidy Request Form’
- Complete the registration form and upload documents as requested.
- Click ‘Save’ and you’re done!
- You will receive a cheque or EFT (based on the preference selected) with the reimbursement amount within 5-6 weeks.
- At the end of the internship both IHO Supervisors and Interns will be asked for feedback on the DS4Y program.
- The intern will receive a DS4Y Certificate of Completion at the end of the internship and training courses.
NOTE: Please make sure to retain all records of the program up to three years after termination of the internship.
When to hire a DS4Y Student?
Employer applications are accepted and processed on an ongoing basis catering to every employer’s recruitment needs. The employer application deadline is Sept. 1, 2019. Last hire for this program will be starting Sept. 15, 2019.
DS4Y Internship Program Requirements
The work term has to be a minimum 6 months at 30 hours per week. Students must receive supervision and regular feedback while being immersed in a professional environment within a team setting.
Certificate of Completion
Upon completion of the Internship, Training Coursework (Including Launch your Career Module) Interns will receive a ‘DS4Y Certificate of Completion’.
The IHO’s responsibilities include but aren’t limited to;
- Providing interns with the necessary equipment, workspace, workplace related training and mentoring to participants to enhance and maximize interns
- Development and implementation of work activities to provide interns with meaningful work experience and enhance their employability.
NOTE: Employer responsibilities and provisions are further listed in the Project Agreement Contract.
- Discuss progress and engage in discussion of topics relevant to the operation of the organization.
- Carry out established activities and any additional responsibilities which are mutually agreed upon by the student and supervisor.
- Fulfill agreed upon time commitments.
- Conduct oneself in a responsible and professional manner.
- Raise concerns with the supervisor and DS4Y Program Coordinator if the objectives for the internship are not being met or if the supervision being received is inadequate
The DS4Y Coordinator will assist the IHO with Project oversight, monitoring, and support ensuring -
- Timely and accurate reporting
- Youth Interns are undertaking activities that are eligible under the Contribution agreement
- IHO Is providing the Youth interns with the Necessary ICT equipment, workspace, workplace- related training and mentoring to fulfill their internship duties and obligations
- Recipient is informed of any issues impacting the project.
The DS4Y Program Coordinator will also conduct a mid internship site visit. This is an opportunity for the DS4Y Program Coordinator to touch base with the intern and supervisor mid-work term, in order to address any concerns and ensure the success of the placement. This is an opportunity for both the employer and the student to provide feedback and suggestions for the program.