Eric Gibson completed his Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology at the University of Calgary in 2020. During his undergraduate tenure, Eric completed two studentships with the O’Brien Institute for Public Health & Ward of the 21st Century, as well as three studentships with the Orthopaedic Surgery team at the South Health Campus. Eric’s research to date has focused on outcomes following rotator cuff and shoulder surgery. He supported the Rotator Cuff Surgical Outcomes in Women study that investigated patient-specific factors such as catastrophizing, anxiety, and depression over the perioperative period. Additionally in the field of orthopaedic surgery, Eric has participated in systematic reviews, survey design, data collection, case reporting, data analysis, and the presentation of research findings.
At the Sport Injury Prevention Research Centre, Eric’s research is being supervised by Dr. Kati Pasanen - and will focus on sport-related shoulder injury prevention.
Awards and Distinctions
2019 University of Calgary International Study Travel Grant
2018 Canadian Orthopedic Association High Scoring Poster
2018 AHS Surgery Strategic Clinical Network (SCN) SSRS Award
2017 AHS Surgery Strategic Clinical Network (SCN) SSRS Award
2016 Calgary Department of Surgery & Section of Orthopaedic Surgery Studentship Award
2015 Alexander Rutherford Memorial Award
2014 Dr. A Downey Memorial Award
- Gibson E, LeBlanc J, Clark ML, Sabo MT. (2020) Surf’s Up: Patient Education in the Digital World. Health Education Journal. Submitted for Peer-Review - September 24th, 2020.
- Vergouwen M, Gibson E, Samuel T, Sabo M, Hiscox C. (2020) Exploring the Role of Non-Operative Management of Distal Biceps Brachii Tendon Rupture: A Scoping Review. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma. Submitted for Peer-Review - August 14th, 2020.
- Gibson E, LeBlanc J, Sabo MT. (2019) Intersection of catastrophizing, gender and patient-reported disease severity in preoperative rotator cuff surgical patients: a cross-sectional study. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 28(12): 2284 - 2289.
- Bourget-Murray J, Frederick AL, Gibson E, & French SJ. (2019). A rare case of Haemophilus parainfluenzae septic knee following prolotherapy injections. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma, 10, S193-S196.
- Gibson E, Sabo MT. (2018) Can pain catastrophizing be changed in surgical patients?: a scoping review. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 61(5): 311-318.
- Kooner SS, Gibson E, Clark ML. (2017) Periprosthetic total knee fracture after remote reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports, 11(1), 276.
- Gibson E, LeBlanc J, Sabo MT. (2019) Prior mood disorder diagnoses do not relate to current mood disorder symptoms or patient-reported disease severity in rotator cuff patients. Shoulder & Elbow. https://doi.org/10.1177/1758573220947025