Carlyn is a born and raised Calgarian who graduated from the U of C with a Kinesiology degree in Exercise and Health Physiology. After completing her undergraduate work and a mentorship program in high performance strength training at the Canadian Sport Institute, Carlyn went on to get her CSEP- Certified Exercise Physiologist and NSCA-Certified Strength & Conditioning specialist designations. She comes to SIPRC after several years of work in personal and team training for U of C Active Living and Dinos Athletics.
Carlyn's research interests surround injury prevention strategies from the coach's perspective in youth population. She is completing her masters thesis in the NBA-GE basketball study, examining the association between training load and lower extremity injuries. Carlyn is also working as a research assistant on the SHRed concussions study funded by the NFL’s Play Smart. Play Safe initiative. Carlyn continues to work as a strength coach and physiology consultant for multiple varsity volleyball teams in Western Canada, as well as the Team Alberta Volleyball High Performance committee and youth development programs.
Awards and Distinctions
2018 Kinesiology Research Travel Award
2015 Vera A. Ross Graduate Scholarship
- Ghali B, Owoeye OBA, Stilling C, Palacios-Derflingher L, Jordan M, Kati Pasanen K, Emery CA. (2019) Internal and External Workload in Youth Basketball Players Who Are Symptomatic and Asymptomatic for Patellar Tendinopathy. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2019 Sep 6:1-24. doi: 10.2519/jospt.2020.9094.
Conference Preceding’s Abstracts:
- Stilling C, Owoeye O, Kuntze G, Emery CA. (January 2016) Prevention of Patellar and Achilles Tendinopathies in Youth Basketball. Ever Active School Conference, Kananaskis, AB
- Grewal S, Kuntze G, Stilling C, Emery CA. (June 2017) Validation of a wearable sensor for quantifying jump height and jump count in basketball. CASEM Annual Conference, Mont Tremblant, QC.
- Ghali B,Oluwatoyosi O, Stilling C,Palacios-Derflingher L,Jordan M, Pasanen K,Emery CA. (June 2018) Workload and Patellar Tendinopathy in Youth Basketball. CASEM Annual Conference, Halifax, NS.
- Ghali B, Owoeye OBA, Stilling C, Palacios-Derflingher L, Jordan M, Kati Pasanen K, Emery CA. (September 2018) Workload and Patellar Tendinopathy in Youth Basketball. 5th International Scientific Tendinopathy Symposium, Groningen, Netherlands.
- Owoeye OBA, Befus K, Stilling C, Ghali B, Choi J, Hubka T, Palacios-Derflingher L, Pasanen K, Wiley JP, Emery CA (September 2018) Injuries and Lower Extremity Tendinopathies in Youth Basketball: A Prospective Cohort Study. Workload and Patellar Tendinopathy in Youth Basketball. 5th International Scientific Tendinopathy Symposium, Groningen, Netherlands.