Slips, Trip, and Fall Prevention Program
Report a snow or ice problem at 403.220.7555 or online.
Slips, Trips, and Falls
Slips, trips, and falls can happen at any worksite and can result in serious injuries, disabilities, and even death. Slips, trips, and falls are a leading cause of near misses and injuries at the university, particularly in winter.
It is important to be aware of the hazards and to take steps to minimize the risk of injury. You can help make the university safer and prevent injuries by reporting hazards related to snow and ice, or any other hazards to Facilities at 403.220.7555 or by submitting an ARCHIBUS Facilities Service Request online.
Snow and ice on campus can present a greater risk of slips, trips and fall. Practice safe winter walking (see below) to help you stay on your feet this winter.
Safe Winter Walking
Facilities management crews do their best to clear snow and ice as quickly as possible, but you may find some areas are slippery as you make your way across campus.
Report snow-covered or icy sidewalks and roadways to facilities by calling the Customer Care Centre at 403.220.7555, Monday through Friday, calling Campus Security after hours at 403.220.5333 or by submitting a service request online.
Slip, Trip, and Fall Prevention Tips
- Do the penguin shuffle: point your feet outward like a penguin, take short, shuffle-like steps, keep your arms at your side and out of your pockets, concentrate on keeping your balance, watch where you are stepping and go slowly.
- Walk in designated areas. Avoid using short cuts and self-made paths as these may be very icy and slippery — stay on the cleared sidewalks, even if it takes extra time.
- Avoid carrying loads that obstruct your view, especially on stairways — consider wearing a backpack.
- Wear appropriate winter footwear. Wear shoes with traction and avoid wearing high heels outdoors — switch to winter-appropriate footwear, even if you're walking a short distance.
- Allow yourself additional time to get where you're going.
- Take small steps to keep your center of balance under you.
- Walk slowly and never run on icy ground.
- Keep both hands free for balance, rather than in your pockets.
- Use handrails from start to finish.
- Keep your eyes on where you are going.
- Test potentially slick areas by tapping your foot on them.
- Step — don't jump — from vehicles and equipment.
- Don't text and walk at the same time.
What to Do If You or Someone You See Falls
- If the person is injured, call Campus Security at 403.220.5333 to report any injuries or 911 in cases of emergency.
- Contact the Customer Care Centre to report the slippery area at 403.220.7555, Monday through Friday, or contact Campus Security after hours by phone at 403-220-5333 or by submitting a service request online.
- It is important to also report any near misses or injury incidents in the Online Accident Reporting System (OARS).
Want to learn more about slips, trips and falls? Try these resources: