COVID-19 Procedure for sick students
This procedure was created for the University of Calgary in accordance with the Alberta Health guidance for post secondary. Updated Sept. 10, 2021.
To establish a guideline for students when they become sick
- All students should be aware of symptoms of illness and not come to university if sick or symptomatic.
- If a student has symptoms, they should complete the self-assessment on the Alberta Health Services website AHS COVID-19 Self-Assessment and follow guidance from AHS, which may include booking a COVID-19 test.
- If the student tests positive for COVID-19, reports go to Staff Wellness email@example.com, for contact tracing.
Procedure if a student becomes sick while at university:
1. If a student becomes sick, they should leave the classroom, lab or workspace immediately if they are well enough
- The student should wear a mask while leaving the premises and/or while waiting for transportation.
2. Instruct student to perform hand hygiene and avoid contact with others or the environment.
3. Regular routine cleaning and disinfection practices are recommended to keep transmission risk low. Common areas are routinely services by Facilities Caretaking.
4. Once at home, the student should complete the self-assessment on the Alberta Health Services website AHS COVID-19 Self-Assessment, and follow the directions.
5. Student should inform their supervisor, instructor or, if in residence, their community advisor of their absence.
6. Student should attempt to identify a list of people with whom they were in close contact (within 2 metres without physical barrier or without PPE) should a positive COVID-19 test indicate a need for contact tracing.
7. Students will remain off campus until cleared to return in accordance with self assessment or testing results (based on AHS isolation criteria).
Recommended transportation options (in order):
1. Student drives self home.
2. Pickup by family or friend:
- Remind student to keep distance.
3. Pickup by taxi/Uber:
- Student should be masked and instructed to perform hand hygiene before entering the vehicle.
- Avoid touching inside the vehicle
- Keep mask on for the duration of ride
- NOTE: check with the taxi company if they will be able to transport and take precautions (e.g. clean inside of vehicle, etc.)
4. Public transportation (bus, c-train) is NOT allowed under public health orders.
5. Call 911 for individuals requiring emergency medical assistance.