Students can invite as many guests as they wish to attend convocation ceremonies. The university does not require guests to RSVP or issue tickets.
When to arrive:
Guests may enter the Jack Simpson Gym one hour before the ceremony start time.
All convocation ceremonies are held in the Jack Simpson Gymnasium in the Kinesiology Complex (labeled KNB on the map). The main entry for convocation ceremonies is the north entrance to KNB by the Olympic Oval. For an overview see Google maps.
There are several pay parking lots available on campus. The closest parking lots to the Jack Simpson Gym are #10 and #11. If you prefer, covered parking is available in the Arts Parkade. See the campus map for additional information.
Hotel Alma, located on campus and a short walk from convocation, will be happy to welcome your friends and family while they come see you graduate. Book online or reach us at 403-220-2588 or toll free at 1-877-498-3203 and quote CONVO for your special nightly rates.
Guests with special needs
Guests with special needs may be dropped off at the Olympic Oval Complex. Seating for guests with special needs is reserved on the track level of the gymnasium, which is accessible by elevator.
Letters of invitation for international guests
International guests, who require a visa, may be asked to provide a letter of invitation to obtain their visa. This letter is written by the graduand, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website for guidance on what to include in your invitation letter.
The university is unable to provide letters of invitation for guests of graduands. However, the Convocation Office can provide a letter confirming the date and time of a student’s specific ceremony. Please email your request to email@example.com.
Help your graduand prepare for the ceremony
Selfie and family photo locations:
Are you wondering where to take photos before or after the Convocation ceremony? Here are some suggestions.
- University of Calgary sign next to the arch. What better way to showcase “you did it!” than to get a photo in your convocation gown next to the official entrance to campus.
- Green spaces around the Olympic Oval and TFDL Quad. Looking for a shady spot under a tree for a family photo? There is a lot of green space around the Oval and in the TFDL Quad (bordered by Kinesiology, MacEwan Student Centre and Taylor Family Digital Library).
- Kinesiology’s dinosaur. Take a moment to snap a fun photo with our dinosaur outside the entrance to Kinesiology. Rex would want you to do it!
- Olympic Arch. Just outside Kinesiology, it provides the perfect frame for a group shot.
- The Spire. Many families have taken photos outside of the Olympic Oval under this public art from the 1988 Calgary Olympics.