The Specialization requirements will consist of completion of:
- at least two graduate-level courses in medical imaging for MSc and three medical imaging courses for PhD (as described below),
- the Professional Skills Workshop Program,
- a Medical Imaging-related research thesis, and
- attendance and annual presentation in the Advanced Imaging Seminar Series https://cumming.ucalgary.ca/programs/medical-imaging-specialization/advanced-imaging-seminar.
In addition, participation in an International or Industrial Exchange of approximately two to four months in duration, by PhD trainees will be strongly encouraged.
The Specialization requires completion of a course sequence in Medical Imaging, in addition to requirements of the specific graduate program. MSc students must take a minimum of two graduate courses (the core and a foundational course). PhD students take at least three graduate courses (including the core, a foundational and an elective course). PhD students previously completing the MSc Specialization in Medical Imaging will be required to complete one elective course in Medical Imaging. PhD students may elect to take the second foundational course as an elective course. These requirements are in addition to the core requirements of a specific participating graduate program. In most programs, the medical imaging graduate courses would count towards graduate program elective courses. In some graduate programs, participation in the Specialization may require students to take an additional graduate course or courses.
Students in the Medical Imaging Specialization should choose between the Technology and Application Streams. The Technology Stream would typically include students enrolled in engineering or physics graduate programs. Application Stream would typically include students in the biological, psychological or medical sciences.
Core required course (MSc and PhD students):
Select one of the following two foundational graduate courses (MSc and PhD students):
- Medical Science 689.10 - Medical Imaging Theory (for students in the Technology Stream)
- Medical Science 689.11 - Medical Imaging Applications and Analysis (for students in the Application Stream)
In consultation with your supervisor and supervisory committee (if appropriate), please select at least one elective course from the following list (PhD students):