In addition to the Faculties of Graduate Studies and Arts requirements, the program requires:
a) An honours degree (or equivalent) in psychology or related discipline with a minimum grade point average of 3.60 on a four-point scale in the last 60 units to be considered for entry, although competition for the program is such that higher grade point averages are typical of students who are admitted.
b) Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test Scores. Please note that students with scores less than the 50th percentile on the Verbal and Quantitative subtests will not normally be admitted.
c) A statement of research and professional interests, including the specification of prospective research supervisors from among current Program faculty.
d) For applicants required to provide proof of proficiency in English, a minimum TOEFL score of 105 (Internet-based test), or an IELTS score of 7.5, or a CAEL score of 70 with a minimum of 70 in each component, or a PTE score of 75. This requirement can also be met by completing the Academic Communication Certificate (ucalgary.ca/esl/acc) with a minimum grade of "A-" in each course.
e) Two academic reference letters.
Master of Science students must formally apply and be approved by the program and the Faculty of Graduate Studies for admission to the doctoral program upon completion of Master of Science requirements.
Undergraduate Breadth Courses
In preparation for graduate studies, students are strongly encouraged to take the following senior-level undergraduate courses:
- 3 units in the history and systems of psychology (e.g., Psychology 305, 405 or equivalent)
- 6 units in biological bases of behaviour (e.g., Psychology 369, 375, 469, 471, 473, 475, 478, 479 or equivalents)
- 6 units in cognitive-affective bases of behaviour (e.g., Psychology 365, 373, 455, 463 or equivalents)
- 6 units in social bases of behaviour (e.g., Psychology 345, 442, 443, 447 or equivalents)
- 6 units in individual behaviour (e.g., Psychology 383, 385, 431, 492 or equivalents).