The University Transfer route is available in Calgary, Edmonton and Lethbridge and through the Learning Circles and Virtual Learning Circles programs.
Applicant to the University Transfer (UT) route must meet the following requirements:
- A minimum of 57 units (9.5 full-course equivalents) non-social work university transferable courses, OR an undergraduate degree in another discipline from a recognized institution
- Successful completion of Social Work 201 or equivalent
- Admissibility to the University of Calgary
- English 30-1 or an acceptable equivalent
- A minimum admission grade point average of 2.30 on a 4.00 scale
- Proficiency in English language
All courses must have been completed by the end of the Winter Term preceding the Fall Term for which entry is sought. Winter, Spring and Summer courses taken in the terms immediately preceding admission will not be used in the calculation of the admission GPA. However, applicants must successfully complete their Winter courses and must maintain a GPA sufficient to satisfy the University admission requirements.
Social Work 201 is a prerequisite for admission into the University Transfer route and must be completed prior to admission.
The Faculty of Social Work evaluates applications on the following criteria:
1. Admission Grade Point Average. The grade point average is calculated on the most recently completed 30 units (5.0 full-course equivalents), starting with courses completed prior to the application deadline.
2. Relevant work/volunteer experience.
3. Admission essay.
4. Two letters of reference. One of these should be from an academic source (e.g. previous instructor). The other should be from a professional (e.g. a former employer or supervisor) who is qualified to comment on the applicant's suitability for undergraduate studies in social work.
Applicants wishing to take the BSW degree program at the University of Calgary may complete their 57 non-social work units (9.5 full-course equivalents) from the required 60 units (10.0 full-course equivalents) for admission, via the Faculty of Arts.
- Applicants who have graduated with a social work diploma from a college that does not have an agreement with the Faculty of Social Work are considered University Transfer applicants. They will normally receive credit for 30 unspecified units (5.0 full-course equivalents) of transfer credit, including the equivalent of Social Work 201 from their diploma program. These applicants will be required to take up to 30 additional units (5.0 full-course equivalents) of non-social work university transferable courses, to meet the minimum admission requirements for the University Transfer route. Please contact one of the undergraduate student advisors in the Faculty of Social Work for further information.
- Applicants with a complete non-Social Work four-year degree and with the equivalent of two years of paid or volunteer work experience in the human services may consider applying to the two year MSW program. Applicants are strongly encouraged to consult with Student Services in the Faculty of Social Work prior to submitting an application to the MSW program.