Upon completion of Year 1, Health and Society students are required to declare an "Area of Concentration". This must be selected from Anthropology, Community Rehabilitation and Disability Studies, Economics, Psychology, Geography, Sociology, or Political Science. Course selection must correspond to the student's chosen concentration discipline and must be chosen from the "Concentration Courses" listed below.
- Health and Society 201, 301, 311, 401, 403, 591
- Biology 241, 243
- 9 units Major Option: Anthropology 203, Community Rehabilitation 205, 207, Economics 201, 2031, Geography 254, any 200-level Political Science, Psychology 200, 2012, Sociology 201
- 3 units Life Sciences Option: any Biology course or Medical Science 341 or Kinesiology 251 or Anthropology 201
- 3 units English: any 200-level English
- 21 units Concentration Courses (see below)
- 9 units Open Option
- Medical Science 203, 205, 3083
- Health and Society 4084
- Medical Science 407
- Medical Science 5085
- 3 units Humanities Option6
- 9 units Health Science Option: any senior-level course offered by the Faculty of Science, the Cumming School of Medicine or courses selected from Anthropology, Archaeology, Economics, Geography, History, International Relations, Linguistics, Indigenous Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Urban Studies
- 6 units Senior Option
1Students considering concentrating in economics should take Economics 201 and 203. It is strongly recommended that these two courses are completed during the first year of study to facilitate enrolment in senior-level Economics course come the student's second year.
2Students considering concentrating in psychology should take Psychology 200 and 201. It is strongly recommended that this course is completed during the first year of study to facilitate enrolment in senior-level Psychology course come the student's second year.
3Medical Science 203, 205, 308 are to be taken in sequence through years one to two.
4Health and Society 408 to be taken in year three.
5Medical Science 508 to be taken in the final year.
6Acceptable courses from the Faculty of Arts to satisfy the Humanities Option may be selected from the following departments: Classics and Religion; English; Philosophy; School of Languages, Linguistics, Literatures and Cultures; Medical Science 309.
Anthropology 341, 393, 411, 490 and 9 units from Archaeology 595 or senior-level courses offered by the Department of Anthropology and Archaeology.
COMMUNITY REHABILITATION AND DISABILITY STUDIES
Community Rehabilitation 209, 435, one of 471 or 473 or 475 and 12 units senior-level Community Rehabilitation courses.
Economics 349, 355, 379 and 12 units senior-level courses by offered by the Department of Economics.
Students considering a concentration in Economics should take Economics 201 and 203 as Major options. It is strongly recommended that these two courses be completed during the first year of study to facilitate in senior-level Economics courses come the student's second year.
Geography 280, 352, 380, 485 and 9 units senior-level courses offered by the Department of Geography.
Political Science 326, 328, 359, 381, 399 and 6 units senior-level courses offered by the Department of Political Sciences.
Psychology 300, 301, 305 or 405 and 12 units senior-level courses offered by the Department of Psychology.
Students considering a concentration in Psychology should take Psychology 200 and 201 as Major options. It is strongly recommended that this course be completed during the first year of study to facilitate in senior-level Psychology courses come the student's second year.
Sociology 311, 313, 315, 321, 331, 333, 413.
**The above concentration courses are subject to the changes and restrictions of the department offering the course.