University of Calgary : 3.3 Course Work

Site Navigation
Important Notice and Disclaimer
Academic Schedule
Types of Credentials and Sub-Degree Nomenclature
Undergraduate Degrees with a Major
Combined Degrees
Minor Programs
Student and Campus Services
Academic Regulations
Co-operative Education/Internship
Tuition and General Fees
Awards and Financial Assistance
International Foundations Program
Faculty of Arts
Cumming School of Medicine
Faculty of Environmental Design
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Haskayne School of Business
Faculty of Kinesiology
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Nursing
Qatar Faculty
Schulich School of Engineering
1. Summary of Degree Programs
2. Faculty Information
3. School Regulations
3.1 Admissions
3.2 Registration
3.3 Course Work
3.4 Academic Performance, Review, and Student Standing
3.5 Examinations
3.6 Graduation
4. Program Details
5. Administration
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Social Work
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Werklund School of Education
Embedded Certificates
Continuing Education
About the University of Calgary
Who's Who
Glossary of Terms
Contact Us
University of Calgary Calendar 2018-2019 Schulich School of Engineering 3. School Regulations 3.3 Course Work
3.3 Course Work

To register in an undergraduate course delivered by the Schulich School of Engineering, a student must have obtained a grade of at least "C-" or better in each prerequisite course.

This regulation takes effect at the beginning of the Fall 2013 session. Prior to Fall 2013 "D" and "D+" grades were acceptable as prerequisites (except when such grades meant that credit would not be given for the course under Student Standing regulations). If a student obtained a "D" or "D+" in a course in Summer 2013 or earlier (and is not required by Student Standing regulations to repeat the course), the grade in that course will be considered acceptable in courses for which it is a prerequisite.

Equivalent Courses

Approval may be given by the Associate Dean (Student Affairs) or by the relevant Department Head for a student to replace one or more courses in the Engineering program by registering in equivalent courses in other faculties. To receive credit, the student must normally obtain a grade of "C-" or higher.

Final Year Technical Options

A student in the final year of the Engineering undergraduate program, who has a high academic standing, may be permitted to substitute a graduate course(s) for a fourth year departmental course(s) with the approval of the department. The undergraduate grading scheme will apply to this student.

Part-Time Studies

Because space in the School is limited, students are encouraged to complete all required courses for their year of program within each academic year. Students who have not yet been placed in a specific degree program are advised that taking a reduced course load may disadvantage them when they are ranked for placement in programs.

As long as students take at least 9 units (1.5 full-course equivalents) (not including Block Week courses) in each of the Fall and Winter Terms, they will be allowed to continue in Engineering as long as all other requirements for satisfactory standing are met. Students who take two or fewer courses in Fall or Winter without valid reason for doing so may be required to withdraw or may lose their space in their degree program. This applies as well to students who start a term in three or more courses but complete two or fewer due to withdrawals from courses.

Students who wish to take two or fewer courses in a Fall or Winter Term for valid reasons must request permission from the Associate Dean (Student Affairs). Valid reasons include (but are not limited to): inability to take courses due to missing prerequisites; inability to take courses due to not having been placed in a degree program; extraordinary extracurricular activities such as national team athletic training and competition; extenuating circumstances such as serious disability, illness, or family issues.

As many required courses are not offered during the evenings or during the Spring or Summer Intersession, students should anticipate that it will not be possible to complete their degree without a significant time commitment on weekdays during several Fall and Winter Terms.

Note also that there is a regulation under 3.4 Student Standing that students must normally complete all degree requirements within eight calendar years.

Permission to Take Courses for Credit at Another Institution

Normally students are expected to complete their programs through courses taken at the University of Calgary. Students who wish to take a course elsewhere should obtain written permission from the Schulich School of Engineering before registering in the course, to ensure that it is acceptable for credit.

It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that an official transcript of grades is forwarded directly to the Registrar of the University of Calgary in order that the appropriate credit may be officially recorded. To receive transfer credit, a minimum grade of "C-" or equivalent must be obtained in each transfer course. (Under some circumstances students may also receive credit for courses with grades of "D" or "D+"). The grades obtained in such courses are not used in the computation of grade point averages for graduation purposes.

Complementary Studies

The following six complementary studies courses are required for all students1,2 in the School:

(a) Engineering 209 (Economics 209)3 - not open to first-year students

(b) Engineering 481

(c) Engineering 213 or Communications Studies 3634

(d) Engineering 513

(e) Two general complementary studies courses are required for all programs except in the following cases:

  • For Chemical Engineering and Oil and Gas Engineering Programs, students are required to take three general complementary studies courses3

General complementary studies courses must be selected from the list of acceptable courses which may be obtained from the Engineering Student Centre and via the following link: Students are responsible for ensuring that any prerequisite conditions are satisfied.

Note inclusions to the list of acceptable general complementary courses for specific programs:

  • Energy Management 301, which is required in the Energy and Environment Specialization, counts as a general complementary studies course.
  • For Geomatics Engineering Programs (except for Geomatics with Energy and Environment Specialization), Business and Environment 395 may be used as a general complementary studies course.

1The sequence of complementary studies courses for BSc in Energy Engineering students is listed in 4.5. Energy Engineering students may not use Economics/Engineering 209 or Engineering 213 or Communications Studies 363; these students must take two general complementary studies courses.

2The required sequence of complementary studies courses for students in the combined degree program, BSc (Engineering)/BComm is listed in section 4. Program Details. Students in this program may not use Economics/Engineering 209, and are required to take Strategy and Global Management 217 in place of Engineering 213 or Communications Studies 363.

3Students in Chemical Engineering and Oil and Gas Engineering may not use Economics 209 or Engineering 209 as a Complementary Studies course; these students must take three general complementary studies courses.

4For students in the IFP Pathways program, International Foundations Program 350 is required in place of Engineering 213 or Communications Studies 363.