Site Navigation
Important Notice and Disclaimer
Academic Schedule
Types of Credentials and Sub-Degree Nomenclature
Undergraduate Degrees with a Major
Combined Degrees
Minor Programs
Student and Campus Services
Academic Regulations
Experiential Learning
Tuition and General Fees
Student Financial Support
Architecture, Planning and Landscape, School of
Faculty of Arts
Cumming School of Medicine
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Haskayne School of Business
Faculty of Kinesiology
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Nursing
Qatar Faculty
Schulich School of Engineering
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Social Work
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Werklund School of Education
1. Summary of Degree Programs
2. Program Information
3. Werklund School of Education Regulations
4. BEd Program Details
4.1 Course Requirements Common to All Programs
4.2 Four-Year BEd Program
4.2.1 Minor Fields and Embedded Certificates
4.3 Five-Year BEd (Concurrent) Program
4.4 Two-Year BEd (After-Degree) Program
4.5 BEd Honours Program
5. Administration
Embedded Certificates
Continuing Education
About the University of Calgary
Glossary of Terms
Contact Us
University of Calgary Calendar 2023-2024 Werklund School of Education 4. BEd Program Details 4.2 Four-Year BEd Program 4.2.1 Minor Fields and Embedded Certificates
4.2.1 Minor Fields and Embedded Certificates

Four-Year Bachelor of Education students may formally declare a Minor, and have this officially recorded on their transcript of record. Available Minor Programs can be found at Minor Programs and more detailed information with the individual faculty.

Students should be aware that due to the composition of their degree requirements, completing a Minor may require that students take more than the minimum-mandated 120 units required of a Four-Year Bachelor of Education. Students are not normally permitted to count more than 36 units from their Minor Fields in their degrees. Students should refer to the sub-section of Faculty of Arts, 3.2.8 Unauthorized Concentrations.

Students may not declare a Minor within the same field in which they are already pursuing a Teachable Subject Area.

Four-Year Bachelor of Education students may formally declare an embedded certificate. Concurrent students may also declare an embedded certificate as part of their co-degree. Available certificates can be found at Embedded Certificates.