Admitted students (credential, visiting, open studies etc.) may request to audit a course. Auditing students participate in classroom activities, except for lab or tutorial components, and do not complete any exam or course assignments nor receive a grade for the course(s) they are auditing. Faculties may restrict courses that are available to audit.
- Students apply for audit status prior to registering in a course. To apply, a student must obtain written permission on a "Permission to Audit" form first from the dean (or designate) of the faculty offering the course and then the instructor teaching the course. Permission obtained from a dean does not bind the instructor to accept a student as an auditor in the class.
- A course in which the student is registered and attends as an auditor, will be entered on the student's record. It will not count towards any credential nor will the student be permitted to change registration in that course from audit to credit or credit to audit status after the course add/swap deadline at the beginning of the term in which the course is scheduled.
- Audit fees are outlined in the Tuition and General Fees section of this Calendar. Auditing fees are non-refundable.
- Students may audit a course which was previously successfully completed and may take for credit a course which was previously audited.
- Audit student must meet all applicable deadlines.
Academic staff and visiting scholars who wish to attend a course, but not formally register in the course, may do so by obtaining written permission from the course instructor. The “permission to audit” form available from Enrolment Services may be used (ucalgary.ca/registrar/student-centre/student-forms), however it is retained by the academic staff member attending the course for their record. This participation will not result in the creation of a student record or an official transcript. Academic staff and visiting scholars who wish to formally audit a course and receive an official transcript must apply for admission and pay the course audit fees.