A. FACULTY OF ARTS REQUIREMENTS
Students must adhere to the applicable Faculty of Arts requirements in 3.4 Graduation.
B. MAJOR-FIELD REQUIREMENTS
Students choose either Chinese or Japanese as the primary language of study and the other as their secondary language of study. Students who receive advanced placement in Chinese or Japanese at the 331 level or higher must choose the language in which they have not received advanced placement as their primary language of study.
Students must successfully complete a minimum of 45 units (7.5 full-course equivalents) and a maximum of 60 units (10.0 full-course equivalents) in the Field of East Asian Language Studies while fulfilling the following requirements:
1. Primary Language of Study: 24 units (4.0 full-course equivalents) from the list of either “Chinese Language” or “Japanese Language” courses. (See the lists under Major Field in East Asian Language Studies.) Students whose primary language is Japanese must take one of Japanese 441, 451 or 471.
2. Secondary Language of Study: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) from the list of either “Japanese Language” or “Chinese Language” courses in the language not chosen for Requirement 1 above.
3. Primary Area of Studies: 9 units (1.5 full-course equivalents) from the list of either “Chinese Studies” or “Japanese Studies” courses, whichever corresponds to the primary language of study.
4. Secondary Area of Studies: 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) from the list of either “Japanese Studies” or “Chinese Studies” courses, whichever corresponds to the secondary language of study.
5. Capstone: 3 units East Asian Language Studies 501.
C. DEGREE OPTIONS
The BA in East Asian Language Studies can be taken with Co-operative Education. See section 3.4.4 Co-operative Education Programs for information and requirements.
Note: Students with advanced placement in the secondary language may take up to 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) in the Secondary Area of Studies in place of 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) in the second language.