A. FACULTY OF ARTS REQUIREMENTS
Students must adhere to the applicable Faculty of Arts requirements in 3.4 Graduation.
B. MAJOR-FIELD REQUIREMENTS
Students must successfully complete a minimum of 42 units (7.0 full-course equivalents) and a maximum of 60 units (10.0 full-course equivalents) in the Field of History while fulfilling the following requirements:
Practice of History: 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) History 300.
Canadian History: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) in Canadian History (see note below).
History before 1850: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) in History before 1850 (see note below).
History Options: An additional 27 units (4.5 full-course equivalents) from the Field of History.
Senior-Level Courses: Inclusive of the courses used to fulfill the above requirements, 36 units (6.0 full-course equivalents) from the Field of History must be at the 300 level or above, of which:
- A minimum of 12 units (2.0 full-course equivalents) at the 400 level
- A minimum of 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) at the 500 level
C. DEGREE OPTIONS
The BA in History can be taken with Co-operative Education. See section 3.4.4 Co-operative Education Programs for information and requirements.
- The Department recommends that all History majors complete 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) at the 200 level.
- History students are advised to take History 300 during their second year and must do so before taking any 500-level courses.
- The lists of courses that fulfill the requirements for Canadian History and History before 1850 are located before the History courses in the “Courses of Instruction” section of this calendar.
- Students are strongly advised not to wait until their last year to fulfill their 500-level course requirement, since enrolment in these courses is limited.