A. FACULTY OF ARTS REQUIREMENTS
Students must adhere to the applicable Faculty of Arts requirements in 3.4 Graduation.
B. MAJOR-FIELD WITH HONOURS REQUIREMENTS
Students must successfully complete a minimum of 60 units (10.0 full-course equivalents) and a maximum of 72 units (12.0 full-course equivalents) in the Field of Economics while fulfilling the following requirements:
Core: 21 units (3.5 full-course equivalents) Economics 201, 203, 301, 303, 357, 359 and 395.
Capstone: Economics 387, 389, 495, 497, 557 and 559.
Upper-Level Courses: 9 units (1.5 additional full-course equivalents) from the 400- or 500-level, which have one of Economics 301, 303, 357 or 359 as a prerequisite.
Economics Options: An additional 12 units (2.0 full-course equivalents) in Economics.
C. OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Mathematics Requirement: (a) Mathematics 211 or 213; and (b) Mathematics 249 or 265.
Statistics Requirement: Statistics 205 or 213.
D. DEGREE OPTIONS
- The BA Honours in Economics can be taken with Co-operative Education. See section 3.4.4 Co-operative Education Programs for information and requirements.
- The BA Honours in Economics can be taken with a “Concentration in Applied Energy Economics” (see section 4.24.4).
- If a student has an acceptable Minor Field or a concentration of at least 18 units (3.0 full-course equivalents), the Undergraduate Director may reduce the number of courses in Economics required for Honours below 60 units (10.0 full-course equivalents). In all cases, the student must have at least 48 units (8.0 full-course equivalents) and meet requirements 1-3.
- Students are advised to take Mathematics 211, Economics 357 and 395 early in their programs of study because these courses are prerequisites for many 400- and 500- level economics courses.
- For program advice on recommended courses outside the Department, consult the Explicit Syllabus of the Department of Economics at: econ.ucalgary.ca/undergraduate/explicit-syllabus.