A. FACULTY OF ARTS REQUIREMENTS
Students must adhere to the applicable Faculty of Arts requirements in 3.4 Graduation.
B. MAJOR-FIELD WITH HONOURS REQUIREMENTS
Students must successfully complete a minimum of 60 units to a maximum of 72 units in Courses Constituting the Field of Economics while fulfilling the following requirements:
Core: 21 units Economics 201, 203, 301, 303, 357, 359 and 395.
Capstone: Economics 387, 389, 495, 497, 557 and 559.
Upper-Level Courses: 9 units from the 400- or 500-level, which have one of Economics 301, 303, 357 or 359 as a prerequisite.
Economics Options: An additional 12 units in Economics.
C. OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Mathematics Requirement: (a) Mathematics 211 or 213; and (b) Mathematics 249 or 265.
Statistics Requirement: Statistics 205 or 213.
D. DEGREE OPTIONS
- The BA Honours in Economics can be taken with Co-operative Education. See section 3.4.4 Co-operative Education Programs for information and requirements.
- The BA Honours in Economics can be taken with a “Concentration in Applied Energy Economics” (see section 4.20.4).
- If a student has an acceptable Minor Field or a concentration of at least 18 units, the Undergraduate Director may reduce the number of courses in Economics required for Honours below 60 units. In all cases, the student must have at least 48 units and meet requirements 1-3.
- Students are advised to take Mathematics 211, Economics 357 and 395 early in their programs of study because these courses are prerequisites for many 400- and 500-level economics courses.
- For program advice on recommended courses outside the Department, consult the Explicit Syllabus of the Department of Economics at: econ.ucalgary.ca/undergraduate/explicit-syllabus.