A. FACULTY OF ARTS REQUIREMENTS
Students must adhere to the applicable Faculty of Arts requirements in 3.4 Graduation.
B. MAJOR-FIELD REQUIREMENTS
Students must successfully complete a minimum of 42 (7.0 full-course equivalents) and a maximum of 60 units (10.0 full-course equivalents) in the Field of Religious Studies while fulfilling the following requirements:
Western and Eastern Religions: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) from the “Western Religions” Stream and 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) from the ““Eastern Religions” Stream. (See note below.)
Nature of Religion: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) from the ““Nature of Religions” Stream including at least 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) from Religious Studies 437 or 447.
Research Methods: Religious Studies 377.
Religious Studies Options: 21 units (3.5 full-course equivalents) from the Field of Religious Studies.
- Inclusive of the courses used in requirements 1 - 4 above, at least 36 units (6.0 full-course equivalents) must be at the senior level (300 and above) of which 12 units (2.0 full-course equivalents) must be at the 400 level or above.
C. OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Language Requirement: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) in a language other than English.
D. DEGREE OPTIONS
The BA in Religious Studies can be taken with Co-operative Education. See section 3.4.4 Co-operative Education Programs for information and requirements.
- The list of courses that fulfill the requirements for the “Eastern Religions” stream, the “Western Religions” stream and the “Nature of Religions” stream are located before the Religious Studies courses in the ““Courses of Instruction” section of this calendar.
- Religious Studies 201 and 203 are recommended.
- Students are strongly advised to include in their programs relevant language courses (e.g., Classical Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Chinese, Japanese, French, German) and relevant courses from other disciplines. Language courses labelled Religious Studies can be counted as part of the 42 units (7.0 full-course equivalents) in Religious Studies.
- In planning their programs, students should bear in mind that language courses and some senior courses are not offered every year.