Site Navigation
Important Notice and Disclaimer
Academic Schedule
Types of Credentials and Sub-Degree Nomenclature
Undergraduate Degrees with a Major
Combined Degrees
Minor Programs
Student and Campus Services
Academic Regulations
Experiential Learning
Tuition and General Fees
Student Financial Support
Architecture, Planning and Landscape, School of
Faculty of Arts
1. Summary of Degree Programs
2. Student Advising
3. Faculty Regulations
3.1 Admission
3.2 Course Regulations
3.2.1 Responsibility for Accuracy of Registration and Program Progression
3.2.2 Course Load
3.2.3 Term Registration Limit
3.2.4 Registration in Senior Level Courses
3.2.5 Prerequisites and Corequisites
3.2.6 Withdrawal from Courses
3.2.7 Repetition of Courses
3.2.8 Unauthorized Concentrations
3.2.9 Credit by Special Assessment
3.2.10 Police Information Checks
3.2.11 Letter of Permission (Permission to Take Courses at Another Institution)
3.2.12 Time to Completion and Use of Course Credit
3.3 Program Regulations
3.4 Academic Review, Grades and Student Standings
4. Program Details
5. Administration
Cumming School of Medicine
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Haskayne School of Business
Faculty of Kinesiology
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Nursing
Qatar Faculty
Schulich School of Engineering
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Social Work
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Werklund School of Education
Embedded Certificates
Continuing Education
About the University of Calgary
Glossary of Terms
Contact Us
Summary of Changes for the 2023-2024 Calendar
University of Calgary Calendar 2023-2024 Faculty of Arts 3. Faculty Regulations 3.2 Course Regulations 3.2.11 Letter of Permission (Permission to Take Courses at Another Institution)
3.2.11 Letter of Permission (Permission to Take Courses at Another Institution)

See B.12 Residency Requirements, Letters of Permission and Leaves of Absence.

Students must request permission to register in courses at another post-secondary institution while enrolled in a degree program at the University of Calgary. Taking courses at another post-secondary institution without a Letter of Permission may result in a denial of transfer credit or in some circumstances a required to withdraw ruling.

Students must complete 18 units before they are eligible to apply for a Letter of Permission. Students on academic probation will not be granted a Letter of Permission except under special circumstances. Exceptions require the approval of the Associate Dean.

Students request Letters of Permission through their online Student Centre. Students should check with a program advisor in the Arts Students' Centre to ensure that courses taken elsewhere will receive transfer credit and that such transfer credit will advance their program. See

Students must apply for the Letter of Permission before registering at another institution. Once the course is completed, students must arrange for an official transcript to be sent to the Admissions Office in order to have transfer credit recorded.

Grades for transfer courses are not included in the GPA calculation used in the annual academic review or the calculation of the Dean’s List.