To be considered for Open Studies, applicants must meet the following requirements:
A. Academic Requirements*
- Present a minimum 65 per cent in English 30-1, or equivalent; OR
- Present a minimum 2.00 GPA in a post-secondary English course(s), OR
- Achieved a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA on the most recent 12 units from a post-secondary institution; OR
- Be a University of Calgary Alumnus.
*When more than one academic requirement is presented, the highest level education is used for admission. Students presenting 12 or more units of post-secondary coursework will be considered for admission based on the GPA of their most recent 12 units.
Students who do not meet one of these requirements may be considered for Open Studies under the Diverse Qualifications Admissions Process (section A.9).
B. Submit the following documents:
- Degree holders: must submit official transcript reflecting the credential awarded.
- Non-degree holders: must submit official transcripts from all high school and post-secondary institutions attended.
- University of Calgary Alumni are not required to provide transcripts, provided they have not attended any other post-secondary institutions.
- Provide proof of English Language Proficiency Requirements (if applicable, see A.11 English Language Proficiency).
C. Be in good standing.
The following limitations apply to Open Studies:
- Students discontinued from Open Studies at the University of Calgary may not apply to Open Studies for a period of 12 months since the end of the term in which they were last registered. Students must reapply for admission and meet the current Open Studies admission requirements.
- Students who have been discontinued more than once from Open Studies are not eligible for readmission to Open Studies.
- Students who are currently under suspension from a University of Calgary Faculty or from another post-secondary institution must wait until their suspension period has ended before they can apply to Open Studies. Students must meet the current Open Studies admission requirements.
- Students who are required to withdraw from a University of Calgary Faculty or from another post-secondary institution must wait a minimum of 12 months before they can apply to Open Studies. Students must meet the current admission requirements for Open Studies.
- Students who have been expelled from a Faculty at the University of Calgary for academic or non-academic misconduct are not permitted to apply to Open Studies until 24 months have passed since the end of the term in which they were last registered.
Students admitted to open studies have one year from their admit term to register for a course before they will be discontinued.