English is the official language of instruction at the University of Calgary. All applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency to be considered for admission to an undergraduate program. English language proficiency is achieved by meeting one of the following criteria:
- Successful completion of at least three years of formal, full-time study in English at a secondary school that meets one of the following requirements:
a. Is in an exempt country; OR
b. Is accredited to offer Canadian, American or British curricula; OR
- Successful completion of at least two years of formal, full-time study in English at an accredited or recognized post-secondary institution in Canada or a University of Calgary approved English-speaking country; OR
- Achieved a final grade of 80 per cent or better on the Alberta English Language Arts 30-1 (or equivalent); OR
- Achieved a grade of 5 or better on the International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher or Standard Level English A (Literature or Language and Literature) examination or a grade of 6 or better on the Higher Level English B examination; OR
- Achieved a grade of 4 or better on the Advanced Placement (AP) English Literature and Composition or English Language and Composition examination; OR
- Achieved a grade of "A" or "B" in GCSE-level, A/S-level or A-level English (non-ESL) in the General Certificate of Education (GCE)/General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) curriculum; OR
- Successful completion of at least three years at a school in English that is an accredited member of the Council of International Schools (CIS), including completion of a senior academic English course (Alberta 30-1 level or equivalent); OR
- Successful completion of a University of Calgary English credit course, comparative literature course, or university equivalent with a final grade of "B-" or better; OR
- Successful completion of an approved English language test/program as follows:
Note: Applicants must also present one of the following in order to satisfy the spoken English requirement:
- Nursing: Minimum score of 23 on the speaking component of the TOEFL iBT or 3+ on the MELAB Speaking Test.
- Education: Minimum score of 27 on speaking component of the TOEFL iBT or a 4- on the MELAB Speaking Test.
Applicants to the Faculties of Law, Graduate Studies, Cumming School of Medicine (excluding applicants to the Bachelor of Health Sciences and Bachelor of Community Rehabilitation) or Veterinary Medicine should check English Language Proficiency requirements directly with those faculties.
Normally, students will only be admissible if the English Language Proficiency requirement have been satisfied. The Registrar has the authority to use discretion in exceptional circumstances. Students must meet English Language proficiency requirements in addition to meeting the English subject admission requirement for the program to which they are applying.