July 9, 2020
Revised calendar guidelines for tests and assessments for Fall 2020
Message to the UCalgary community
New guidelines have been released on the Academic Calendar 2020-21 for term and final assessments for the Fall 2020 term. These guidelines apply to both graduate and undergraduate courses that will be delivered in-person and online that have timed tests, exams and/or assessments for the Fall 2020 term.
Here are some highlights:
- For courses where all components are offered online, tests and timed assessments are to be completed online.
- For blended courses with both online and in-person components, assessments are to be completed in the modality they are offered (i.e. in-person course components can offer in-person assessments, online components offer online assessments).
- The timing (start and final submission times), location, and modality of assessments in a course must be clearly articulated to students in their course outlines.
- Technology requirements for timed assessments (term and final) must be indicated in the course outline.
Online Term tests and assessments (in-term)
- Tests and timed assessments are to be designed to be completed during the duration of the class time (e.g. a 50-minute class would have a test designed to take no longer than 50 minutes to complete).
- Students are to have the option to start a test or timed assessment at a time that best suits their situation within a 24-hour time period.
- Tests and timed assessments are to be set up in D2L or other approved university platforms to include an additional time extension of 50% of the test/assessment duration, to allow for any technology issues that may arise (e.g. a 50-minute timed test would be set up to allow for 75 minutes to complete).
Online final exams and assessments
- Timed final exams are to be designed to be completed within the time scheduled for the final examination stated in the final examination schedule provided by the registrar (e.g. a two-hour final exam is designed to take two hours to complete).
- Timed final exams must be set up in D2L or other approved university platforms to allow for an additional 50% time extension to complete the exam (e.g. a two-hour exam would have a three-hour time window to complete).
- Students are to have the option to start their exam at a time that best suits their situation within the 24-hour time period.
- All final exams must be submitted by the end of the registrar-scheduled exam time for the course.
- For the Fall 2020 term, if a final exam is planned, it must be scheduled during the final exam period.
- Fully in-person course: final examinations will be scheduled in-person.
- Blended and online courses: the final examination will be scheduled online.
More information is available in Section G Examinations and Tests in the Academic Calendar – students and faculty members are advised to review all the assessment guidelines. All efforts have been made through these guidelines to eliminate ambiguity and variance for students and faculty as we go into the Fall 2020 term.
UCalgary resources on COVID-19
For the most up-to-date information about the University of Calgary's response to the spread of COVID-19, visit the UCalgary COVID-19 Response website.