Calgary Pride is marking its 30th anniversary virtually with a series of community-hosted online events that will bring Calgary together in celebration and support of gender and sexually diverse communities. As a Calgary Pride partner, the university is offering expert- and researcher-led webinars and lectures and various events as part of Pride Week 2020.
Dr. Dru Marshall, UCalgary provost and vice-president (academic), says Pride Week in Calgary provides a valuable opportunity to reflect on the university’s commitment to helping everyone feel welcome, safe and respected regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
“It’s a moment to share our progress in providing more inclusive campuses for everyone and our research contributions to building a more inclusive society,” says Marshall. “But it’s also a time to listen to everyone — both on and off campus — and learn how we can get better at fostering a more supportive and equitable environment for all of our students, faculty and staff.”
Eren Just, fourth-year student in the School of Creative and Performing Arts and co-chair of Queers on Campus, agrees that the university’s partnership with Calgary Pride is valuable in progressing toward greater inclusivity.
“It’s important that UCalgary celebrates Pride because the work of inclusivity is not actually over,” says Just.
We do not live in a post-homophobia world, and only consistent and thoughtful effort can change that.
Last year, the University of Calgary reviewed the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI), and a number of changes have been made, including hiring the inaugural vice-provost (equity, diversity and inclusion), Dr. Malinda Smith, PhD. Smith arrived on Aug. 1 and is already busy getting established at the University.
Marshall says the newly reviewed office and leadership begins a new phase for UCalgary.
“I look forward to seeing where an increased focus on equity, diversity and inclusion will take the excellent work that is already well underway at UCalgary,” she says.
Plan your Pride Week
There’s a lot going on and everyone’s invited, so check out the complete listing of UCalgary events for Calgary Pride 2020, including:
- Webinar - Changing the Narrative of Exclusion: LGBTQA2+ Inclusion in Faith and Healthcare with Dr. Tonya Callaghan, PhD, and Dr. Caley Shukalek, MD, Sept. 1
- Faculty of Kinesiology Ultimate L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.+ Trivia Game, Sept. 1
- #ProudPartners panel with Dr. Malinda Smith, UCalgary vice-provost (equity, diversity and inclusion), Sept. 2
- Lecture - The Rise and Fall of the Lesbian Nation with Dr. Lillian Faderman, Sept. 3
- Key of T film screening and research talkback, Sept. 3
- The Calgary Pride festival and parade is on! Video submissions to the parade were provided by Pride’s community partners, including UCalgary — the virtual festival and parade will air at calgarypride.ca/live throughout the day on Sept. 6
View Calgary Pride’s full schedule of events and register to attend panels, performances, learning series, workshops and more to be part of Calgary Pride’s 30 years celebrating resiliency, community and love.