UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant
Let us help you fund your Virtual Global Learning program!
UCalgary International has allocated funding for a 1 time pilot to increase and support student participation in virtual global learning through the UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant.
The UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant, valued at $500 per grant, is awarded to students who will be undertaking a UGo virtual global learning program during the Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 semesters. UGo virtual global learning programs include virtual exchanges, group study programs, research and internships
For Spring/Summer 2021 Virtual Study Abroad Programs
Programs must commence between April 1, 2021 and August 31, 2021
Application status: Closed for 2021
Application deadline: March 10, 2021 11:59pm MST
Sponsored by: UCalgary International
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.220.8796
To be eligible for a UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Virtual Study Abroad Programs must commence between April 1, 2021 and August 31, 2021
- Must be earning credit towards a degree at the University of Calgary (UCalgary); i.e. accepted into and registered in a degree program at time of application;
- Must be participating in a UCalgary virtual study abroad program such as a UGo Virtual Student Exchange, UGo Group Study Program, UGo Research or UGo Internship during the Spring 2021 or Summer 2021 semester;
- Must be obtaining a minimum of three units of academic credit for a UGo Exchange or Group Study Program (three units = one half course equivalent = one (1) semester course) or participating in an approved UGo Internship or Research opportunity;
- Have a minimum academic standing of 2.50 GPA (Grade Point Average) over the last eight (8) courses taken for undergraduate students or are graduate students in good academic standing;
- Have completed at least eight (8) courses (24 units) towards their undergraduate degree program by the time they go abroad (may include transfer courses) OR completed at least one semester of their graduate degree program prior to participation;
- Applicants with less than eight (8) courses completed towards their undergraduate degree program at the time of application must have at least four (4) courses completed with a minimum of 2.50 GPA and have completed at least eight (8) courses with a 2.50 GPA, prior to program start date; and
A printable version of the above guidelines are available here.
All University of Calgary students who meet the eligibility requirements may apply. Consideration of applications for funding is on a competitive basis. The requested Statement of Purpose will be reviewed and evaluated during the selection process.
Preference may be given to applicants who:
• Are undertaking an undergraduate degree;
• Demonstrate financial need and/or other barriers to participation in this program; and
• Have not previously received funding from the International Studentship or International Study Travel Grant competition.
The committee will not consider applicants who:
• Are attending conferences;
• Are registered in a PhD program;
• Are not registered in a degree program at UCalgary;
• Are currently on the program for which they are requesting funding;
• Have completed their program at the time of applying for the Grant;
• Submit a late application.
All required information can be found on this webpage. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is submitted in full by Wednesday, March 10 at 11:59pm.
- Complete the Online Application Form. If you have already created a profile in our system, RAISA, then you can go directly to the Fund Tab and apply for the 2021 UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant.
- If you are participating in more than one virtual study abroad program in different periods of time within the UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant commencement dates, you can only receive funding for one of the programs. Please choose one program only and apply for funding for that program.
- Following the completion of your program, you will be required to submit a program report and participate in Global Learning promotional activities. The UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant report and promotional details will be provided upon acceptance.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Please ensure you have submitted your application properly.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the application is complete and has been submitted prior to the deadline. Applications that are saved but not submitted will not be considered.
To check the status of an application, please follow these steps:
- Log into your account at http://www.ucalgary.ca/uci/raisa; and
- Click on the tab labeled “My Applications” and then click on "view fund applications".
The status of your application will be shown on the right hand side of the Fund application title.
Here is what each status means:
Accepted - Congratulations, you have been awarded a grant. You will receive an email within 24 hours of this status change with the award details. If it has been more than 24 hours, please email email@example.com to have the letter re-sent. Please make sure to check your junk/spam mailbox.
Applied - Your application has been completed and successfully submitted. Your application will remain at the applied status until the system is updated with the committee decisions.
Declined- Unfortunately, you have not been awarded a grant.
Saved - You have a draft application. Any applications that are saved are not considered by the committee. Please ensure you complete and submit your application by the deadline.
Withdrawn -You have not been able to complete the study program or an acceptable alternative and are therefore ineligible for the grant so your funding has been withdrawn. This is only used for students who withdraw an application before the committee considers it or who withdraw after they have been awarded.
What do I need to do to have my UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant paid out?
Once you have been accepted, here are the steps you will need to complete to receive your UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant:
Accept Terms and Conditions:
- Log into your account at http://www.ucalgary.ca/uci/raisa; and
- Click on the tab labeled “My Applications”, and then click on "view fund applications". You should be able to see a button called “Registration." Please click on it and check the box that confirms you have read and understood all the terms and conditions for receiving the grant.
Update your banking information:
- Enter your banking information through your Student Centre. Under the "My Financials" section and click on "Submit Direct Deposit Info." (NOTE: This is in very small text at the base of the "Awards and Scholarships" block)
When will I get my grant paid out?
Students must UPDATE their banking information and ACCEPT the Terms & Conditions by a deadline of MARCH 15, 2021.
The grant payment will then be tentatively scheduled for disbursement March 25, 2021
In the event that you are unable to begin your planned virtual global learning experience by August 31, 2021, you agree to immediately notify the UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant Administrators at firstname.lastname@example.org and reimburse this funding to the University of Calgary in care of University of Calgary International within two weeks of the planned commencement of your planned program. In addition, if you fail to comply with academic and non-academic misconduct policies, you must immediately reimburse the funding.
A printable version of the International UGo Virtual Learning Grant Terms and Conditions are available here.
I have applied for a virtual study program but have not received confirmation of my acceptance, am I still eligible?
Yes. You can apply based on the tentative dates and details for your proposed program. If the committee chooses to award you funding, it will be contingent on you providing proof of participation in the program.
How much is the UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant?
If I am participating in a UCalgary program as a Visiting Student (e.g. from MRU) am I eligible to be awarded a UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant?
No. Students must be earning credits towards a UCalgary degree.
I have applied to transfer to the UCalgary so this program will count towards my degree once I am accepted, am I eligible?
You must be accepted into an UCalgary degree program by the application deadline. Most students will not receive confirmation that they have been accepted for transfer until mid-summer. If you are planning on participating in a winter term program, you can apply in the fall competition for funding if your transfer is not finalized by the March deadline. If you apply before your transfer is approved, you will not be an eligible applicant.
I am an Open Studies Student, am I eligible?
No. Open Studies students are not officially registered in a degree program so they are not earning credit towards a degree. If you were an Open Studies student in the past but you have been accepted into a degree program at the UCalgary by the application deadline, you are eligible.
I am looking to attend a conference related to my thesis/research/degree, am I eligible?
No. Conferences are not eligible for funding through the UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant. Please contact the Students’ Union, if you are an undergraduate student or the Faculty of Graduate Studies, if you are a graduate student to see what other options are available to you.
I am not eligible for the UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant. Can you suggest other sources of funding?
We have compiled a listing of funding options for students to further investigate. Click here for more information.
I am an International Student. Can I apply for a UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant to help with the cost of my studies at the UCalgary?
No. The UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant is only awarded for virtual studies outside of Canada. However, international students who are doing a Virtual Learning Abroad program are eligible for the UGo Virtual Global Learning Grant funding.
I have not yet received my grant. What do I do?
Please check your bank statement for the month that you were supposed to receive your grant. The money should have been deposited either on the 10th or 25th of the month. If you still do not see the deposit from the University of Calgary in your statement, you will have to contact Human Resources at (403) 220-5932.
I want to see if a promotional activity will be accepted, who do I contact?
Please send an email with the details to email@example.com
During and/or after your program, promote global learning among the UCalgary student body. Activities could include social media posts, classroom presentations, creating a video for the international video contest, etc.
There will be a number of promotional events organized throughout the year by UCI Study Abroad that you can participate in. However, you are also encouraged to take advantage of other opportunities organized by your faculty or department or come up with something on your own. Please notify firstname.lastname@example.org of your participation in external events or your ideas for alternative activities. Be sure to describe the activity, including the date and time commitment involved.
Suggest an idea!
We are always looking for new promotional suggestions. Let us know your idea by emailing email@example.com to see if it will count toward your hours!