Nagoya University of Commerce and Business - Haskayne only

The Nagoya University of Commerce and Business (NUCB) offers an all English speaking program and is one of the largest English-taught business programs in Japan. 

NUCB strives to cultivate highly skilled professionals who posses a global perspective and will make strong contributions to the international business community.

NUCB offers cultural enrichment activities to deepen student understanding of Japanese culture and business practices including tours to world heritage sites, the Toyota Factory, rice planting and harvesting, Buddhist Zen meditation, Sumo Grand Tournament, calligraphy, and tea ceremonies.

Key information


Nagoya, Japan


English, Japanese


Fall, Winter

Program type


Application information

Application status


2020-21 applications

Already filled

University-specific additional requirements

No academic reference required - see the Eligibility section below.

2021-22 applications

Open Nov. 1, 2020

Program details

Haskayne Exchange Areas of Study:

  • Finance
  • General Business
  • Marketing

Ensure you review your course selection with a Haskayne exchange advisor before leaving for your exchange to confirm transfer credit.

Haskayne undergraduate students must take their core courses at the University of Calgary. Students can take two senior commerce and/or non-commerce options, and/or a maximum of 2 concentration courses (not ACCT/PLMA). They are required to maintain full time status while on exchange.

2 NUCB Credits = 3 ECTS Credits
2 NUCB Credits = 90 hours of study
Class hours = 200 min x 7 lectures and a final report
*Attendance is required and class participation is part of the final grade 

Required courseload per semester: minimum of 12 NUCB credits (6 courses) and maximum of 20 NUCB credits (10 courses). 

NUCB has two semesters: 

  • Fall semester classes typically start in September and end in December
  • Spring (Winter) semester classes typically start in April and end in July
  1. Costs

    Exchange students pay their tuition and academic fees to the University of Calgary. Other expenses are paid directly to the service provider. 

    At Nagoya, exchange students have to pay for casebooks (maximum ¥3,500 per course = ¥35,000 per semester), daily living expenses and accommodation.

    All students are legally required to register into the Japan National Health Insurance (NHI) plan. The cost is an average of ¥2,000/ month and students are covered for 70% of medical care.

    Students are expected to budget an average of ¥120,000 per month during their stay in Japan (excluding accommodation). Costs in Greater Nagoya are on average 30% lower than Tokyo.

  2. Funding

    Did you know that you can take your UCalgary funding with you on exchange?  
    Since you remain a degree seeking student at UCalgary while on exchange you remain eligible for any awards and scholarships you are eligible to receive from the university as well as student loans.

    UC International administers the International Study Travel Grant for students travelling on approved UCalgary study programs that are credit bearing. The amount changes year to year as the money is split evenly between qualified applicants. Students may only receive the study travel grant once. Please see the funding page for more information.

Students have guaranteed housing at NUCB. Upon application, students are provided with multiple options of NUCB halls of residence.

Residence Monthly Rent* Commuting (1 semester)
Meito ¥74,000 ¥61.780
Chiyoda ¥74,000 ¥78,260
Higashiyama Annex ¥63,750 ¥78,260
Sanbongi** ¥42,750 ¥16,800
Sanbongi Campus ** ¥42,750 ¥16,800

* includes rent, utilities & common service fee

** ¥0 if commuting by walking/biking


Students living at one of the NUCB dormitories must pay both a refundable deposit and non-refundable check-in fee prior to moving in.

  • Semester exchange students - ¥52,500 (¥30,000 refundable deposit and ¥22,500 non-refundable check-in fee)
  • Year-long exchange students - ¥55,000

Haskayne students at UCalgary can ONLY apply for this partner through Haskayne, and must meet the Haskayne requirements for exchange.

Important Visa Info: Japanese citizens must travel on their Japanese passport. 

Each semester the international office arranges approximately 10 extracurricular activities, such as the Toyota factory visit, Sumo, Tea ceremony, Zen Buddhism visit, or rice harvesting, among others. 

The exchange advisor for this program is: Erin Mizzoni

How to Apply

Download the application guide

This PDF contains information on how to complete your application and what to do after you have applied.

Application guide

Identify three programs of interest

We recommend applying for your top three programs for the priority application deadline, as placement may be competitive. We will assess your applications in ranked order.

Check requirements and deadlines

These may vary by program, so check the individual program pages and make sure that you are aware of any different application deadlines or eligibility requirements.

Start your application

Once you have gathered everything you need, you can begin your application!

Please note: Applications will not be considered complete until all required documents are submitted in full.


International travel presents challenges that may not be found when attending classes on campus. There may be a lack of resources, emergency services, hospitals, accessibility issues and/or demands on the physical and the mental self, all of which can challenge individuals when away from their usual support systems and structures. Adequate preparation is essential.

For this reason, it is imperative that you evaluate all aspects of your own physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual condition against the rigors of the particular study abroad program you are selecting. If you are unsure of whether or not this program is a good fit for you and/or if you have any circumstances that could impede your enjoyment of the program, please contact us. Our Study Abroad Team will be happy to assist in finding the best options for you and arrange any supports or accommodations necessary to ensure your success.

Please note if you have or are seeking a certificate from Student Accessibility Services, you should provide this early to your Study Abroad Advisor to ensure that the option that you are seeking can support your needs.