Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Schulich/Social Work only

Located in the heart of Hong Kong, near Victoria Harbor and Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, or PolyU, has over 30,000 students and is one of the top 10 universities under 50 years of age.

Key information


English, Cantonese


Fall, Winter

Program type


Application information

Application status



2020-21 applications

Applications for Winter 2021 exchanges are still open. First come, first considered for remaining spaces!

University-specific additional requirements

One academic reference required - see the Eligibility section below.

2021-22 applications

Open Nov. 1, 2020

Program details

Schulich agreement:

Poly U offers several areas of engineering including: Biomedical, Civil (Building Services Engg & Environmental Engg) Electrical (Transport Systems), Electronic & Information Engg (Industrial engg, Systems engg, Product engg), Geomatics (under the Faculty of Construction and Environment), & Mechanical. 

They have a list of courses offered in each department. Please list the department in your course list section of your application.

Course requirements:
As an exchange student you can take courses (subjects) from all engineering faculties (check the requirements of each course) if the courses are approved by your academic advisor - however, at least 50% of your enrolled courses must be in one subject area. 

Students at PolyU must take at least 9 credits up to a maximum of 18 (3-6 UCalgary HCEs) per semester. 3 HKPU credits = 3 UCalgary Units

Social Work Agreement:

The Faculty of Social Work has a practicum opportunity at this university, please contact Jessica Ayala for more information. 

PolyU has two semesters, Fall and Spring. 

  • Fall semester runs late Aug/early September to the holidays in December
  • Spring semester runs early January to mid-May


Exchange students pay their tuition and academic fees to the University of Calgary. Other expenses are paid directly to the service provider. 

The best time to live in Hong Kong is as a student, as student accommodation in Hong Kong is often heavily subsized. HKPU's monthly estimate of living expenses is as follows (semester is roughly 4.5 months):

On-campus Accommodation 1,400 HKD
Food 3,000 HKD
Laundry & AC in dorm 200 HKD
Miscellaneous Expenses 900 HKD
Visa/Admin fee (one time) 550 HKD
TOTAL per month: 5620 HKD


Also, don't forget to include things like flights, visas, insurance, vaccinations, etc. in your budget planning.

Hong Kong cost comparison for other items vs. Calgary: Click Here 


Did you know that you can take your UCalgary funding with you on exchange?  
Since you remain a degree seeking student at UCalgary while on exchange you remain eligible for any awards and scholarships you are eligible to receive from the university as well as student loans.

Our office administers the International Study Travel Grant for students travelling on approved UCalgary study programs that are credit bearing. The amount changes year to year as the money is split evenly between qualified applicants. Students may only receive the study travel grant once. Please see the exchange funding page for more information.

China International Study Travel Award: offered annually to continuing undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Calgary. See funding page for more details. 

All exchange students are guaranteed accommodation at PolyU Student Halls of Residence for a twin-share room (no single rooms available). Application instructions for accommodation are typically sent in the admission email from PolyU, and typically opens for applications in early August/December. Poly U has 2 blocks of students halls (Hung Hom and Homantin) managed by the university. There are also off-campus housing options, though they may be more costly.

This exchange is open to regular, full-time students in Schulich School of Engineering at UCalgary, who have completed at least 1 full year (10 courses) at the post-secondary level, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 (B-) or permission of the exchange advisor.

The Social Work Practicum is open to regular, full-time students in the BSW program, who have completed at least 1 full year (10 courses) at the post-secondary level, with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (B). 

An academic reference is required for a complete application.

All university campuses in Hong Kong prohibit smoking on campuses in accordance with Hong Kong law. 

What supports or services are available at PolyU?

The university offers a buddy program that matches incoming exchange students with local students who can help support in the transition to campus life.

Students with accessibility needs can consult with the Centre STARS office, which also offers a buddy program for new students. "We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Applicants who fulfill the essential entry requirements and satisfy the specified physical demands of the selected programme will be considered for admission on the same academic grounds as other applicants. Reasonable use of assistive technology is welcomed where appropriate."

Hong Kong Polytechnic is located in a relatively flat area adjacent to the lively Kowloon Harbourfront, making it a more accessible option in Hong Kong for those with mobility concerns.

Have questions?

Study Abroad 101

Please watch this YouTube playlist before reaching out or booking an appointment.

Watch Study Abroad 101

Academic Advising

Before applying to study abroad, you should ask your academic advisor how an exchange might align with your degree (e.g. best time to go, what courses you need).

After you are accepted, you should ask your academic advisor more specific questions about courses/transfer credits. It’s also recommended to follow up with your advisor again once you return to Calgary.

Find your academic advisor

Study Abroad Advising

If you have questions about this exchange program, you can meet with the specific advisor for this program by booking an appointment through the link below. Appointments are currently on zoom.

1. Select “Book an Appointment”
2. Select “Study Abroad Appointments”
3. Select “Book by Appointment Type”
4. Read through the list of appointment types to select the most appropriate type and view available times.

Book an appointment

The exchange advisor for this program is: Kathryn Bauer

How to Apply

Download the application guide

This PDF contains information on how to complete your application and what to do after you have applied.

Application guide

Identify three programs of interest

We recommend applying for your top three programs for the priority application deadline, as placement may be competitive. We will assess your applications in ranked order.

Check requirements and deadlines

These may vary by program, so check the individual program pages and make sure that you are aware of any different application deadlines or eligibility requirements.

Start your application

Once you have gathered everything you need, you can begin your application!

Please note: Applications will not be considered complete until all required documents are submitted in full.


International travel presents challenges that may not be found when attending classes on campus. There may be a lack of resources, emergency services, hospitals, accessibility issues and/or demands on the physical and the mental self, all of which can challenge individuals when away from their usual support systems and structures. Adequate preparation is essential.

For this reason, it is imperative that you evaluate all aspects of your own physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual condition against the rigors of the particular study abroad program you are selecting. If you are unsure of whether or not this program is a good fit for you and/or if you have any circumstances that could impede your enjoyment of the program, please contact us. Our Study Abroad Team will be happy to assist in finding the best options for you and arrange any supports or accommodations necessary to ensure your success.

Please note if you have or are seeking a certificate from Student Accessibility Services, you should provide this early to your Study Abroad Advisor to ensure that the option that you are seeking can support your needs.