Go Global Day 2019
Wednesday, September 25, 2019
MacEwan Student Centre, North Courtyard
Welcome to Go Global Day 2019, hosted by UCalgary International Study Abroad
This is GO GLOBAL DAY.
Every September, UCalgary is overtaken by a colourful showcase of international options for students.
With a wide variety of organizations and partner universities sharing information on different study, research, work, volunteer, and other travel abroad opportunities, this is your biggest and best chance to learn how you can go global.
Where: MacEwan Student Centre, North Courtyard (indoors)
When: Wednesday September 25, 2019
Hours: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Questions? Please contact the Study Abroad Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 403.220.8922
Go Global Day Details
Everything you need to know as an exhibitor, volunteer, or participant in Go Global Day 2019!
September is a fantastic time of year. Our wonderful staff, partners and volunteers are at high energy and excited to spend time with you on campus!
Here are some of the things you can engage with at Go Global Day.
- Never been to visit UC International Study Abroad? Maybe you were too shy to make an appointment, or couldn't figure out how to use the appointment booking system. Well, now's your chance to drop in for a conversation on-the-go with our Study Abroad advisors! All day long, we will have 2-3 members of our team taking turns at the Advising Booth, so take a seat and ask them all of your questions about studying abroad. By the time you have to go, you will have received program recommendations, tips on awards and finances, and tailored advice for your "next steps" in planning your adventure abroad.
Go Global Day Info Displays/Tables
- Around the MacEwan Student Centre courtyard, you will see a ring of tables and display boards themed by world region. These are your study and research abroad opportunities! Move further into the courtyard, and you will find representatives from some of these study/research destinations, happy to talk about their universities. Additional tables will host various international organizations, as well as other offices on campus that offer more work and volunteer-themed international options.
Go Global Day Info Sessions
- These hour-long sessions are run by several of our skilled partners, and will present information on unique international programs and topics. Both of these Info sessions will take place in MSC 275.
- Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme - 2PM - 3PM
Are you looking for an opportunity to work overseas after graduation? A one-year placement on the JET Programme could be just what you’re looking for to explore a new culture, broaden your horizons AND get paid while you’re at it! JET Programme participants are employed as either Assistant Language Teachers (ALT) or Coordinators for International Relations (CIR).
ALTs are placed mainly in public schools or local boards of education and assist with English classes taught by Japanese teachers. No Japanese language skills are required. CIRs must have a functional command of Japanese as they typically work in local government offices, assisting with international exchange activities such as planning events, translating or interpreting for government officials, producing and editing written materials in English or Japanese, etc.
- Washington Center Internship Program - 3PM - 4PM
Since 1997 more than four hundred Canadian students, including more than 80 students from the University of Calgary, have come to Washington, D.C. to turn the knowledge learned in the classroom into practical skills needed to enter the workforce. They have interned with organizations such as the Embassy of Canada, the Embassy of Mexico, the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, the American Council of Young Political Leaders, Voice of America, the Institute for Gulf Affairs, ABCNews, Amnesty International, the North American Association for Environmental Education, the Center for International Terrorism Studies, public relations firms, government relations firms, and non-profit organizations. Many of these students are now leaders in their communities throughout Canada and abroad.
The Washington Center offers internship programs in the areas of: Advocacy, Service and Arts; Business and Global Trade; International Affairs; Law and Criminal Justice; Media and Communications; Politics and Public Policy; and Science, Technology, and Society. All internships are for academic credit, and students in the Faculty of Arts Co-Op program can use this internship as one of their Co-Op placements.
- Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme - 2PM - 3PM
Games and Contests
- Try your hand at the knowledge wheel for a chance to win cool swag from our international partners! While opening our mail over the summer, we've seen a lot of trinkets go into these prize boxes - everything from small toys and chopsticks to school supplies (new pens are always needed).
- Take a break in your busy class schedule and come join us for a fun set of travel-inspired pictures! We've got the props and photographer; all that you need is to grab a friend (or stranger) and strike a pose. Don't forget your suitcase and sunglasses, and don't feel shy, either - we're one big global family!
NOTE: We are fully booked for the 2019 Go Global Day - but you can apply for next year's event starting Spring of 2020!
At Go Global Day, we expect 300+ students to drop by and check out their international opportunities!
Typically, we send out invitations to register for Go Global Day in the summer months. We welcome returning exhibitors to participate, as well as new ones! If your registration is confirmed, you will have access to your own table free of charge.
If you have not participated before and think that your organization would be a good fit for our fair, please e-mail us at email@example.com and tell us about yourselves! Space is limited, so we encourage early inquiries.
If you are a student that has studied abroad with the University of Calgary, or if you are currently a student here on exchange from another country, we would love for you to come and share your experience.
Go Global Day offers diverse volunteer positions, including set up/take down, manning booths, distributing flyers, and assisting with contests and other special activities. If you are chosen to be a volunteer, please plan to arrive early (estimated ten minutes before your shift starts; details of volunteer meeting location for 2019 to be announced soon) to receive instructions.
If you have any questions about this or other volunteer opportunities, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.