perth city

Edith Cowan University

Take in the natural wonders of the Perth area - from quokkas to the region's spectacular limestone caves.

ECU has 3 campuses, Mt. Lawley, Joondalup, and South West (Bunbury) campus. Mt. Lawley has one of the Australia's most state-of-the-art Indigenous Centres - Kurongkurl Katitjin. The facility was designed in collaboration with, and named from a Nyoongar phrase meaning “coming together to learn". You can also take courses at either of the two other campuses: Joondalup in northern Perth, and the South West Campus located in Bunbury, 200km south of Perth. ECU has been ranked #1 for student experience in Australia for the past few years and has more than 30,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students. They are globally ranked in the top 100 institutions in the field of Kinesiology (Sport Science - QS 2020), and welcome over 6,000 international students each year, originating from more than 100 countries.

Key information


Perth, Australia




Fall, Winter, Academic year

Program type


Application information

Application status


2024-2025 applications

Deadline passed/program full

University-specific additional requirements

No reference letter required; minimum GPA 2.5. See Eligibility section below for details.

2025-2026 applications

Open November 1, 2024

Student experience

2022 exchange student Sarah filmed this video to share about her experience studying kinesiology at ECU

A drone tour of ECU's campuses, including highlights & commentary of some unique features

Program details

Programs Offered: ECU offers numerous academic programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, including Accounting, Australian Studies, Biology, Chemistry, Communications, Computer Science, Disability Studies, Economics, Engineering (Civil, Computer, Electrical, Mechanical), Environmental Management, Environmental Science, Fashion, Finance, Game Design, Graphic Design, Health Science, Indigenous Studies, Journalism, Kinesiology (Sport Science), Law, Management, Marketing, Math, Natural Science, Psychology, Tourism, Urban Planning, Women's Studies, and more. 

Closed Programs: Fine Arts

A course is called a "unit". Most units at ECU are worth 15 credit points (CP); exchange students are required to take 3-4 units per semester (45-60 CP). UCalgary students are advised to take 4 units (60 CP) per semester, as this will transfer back to 5 UCalgary half-courses. 12 CP = 1 UCalgary half-course equivalent.

The semester timetable will show which semester the unit is offered in. (Please choose courses at one campus only as public transportation between the two Perth campuses takes more than 1 hour). You can also view courses offered in specific degree programs here, or look up units in the handbook.

The academic year is divided into 2 semesters.

  • Semester 1 runs from late February to late June
  • Semester 2 runs from late July to late November.

Students can start in either semester, however full-year students must start in February.

  1. Costs

    Exchange students pay their tuition and academic fees to the University of Calgary. Other expenses are paid directly to the service provider. 

    It is recommended that students budget a minimum of AUS$350 per week to pay for accommodation and living expenses. Additional financial information can be found in the Exchange Brochure, which is published online annually (download the PDF file titled "Study Abroad/Exchange Inbound Guide"). 

    Weekly Cost Estimates are provided based on housing type: 
    Rent: $187-336 (on-campus), $165-300 (off-campus rental), $245-280 (homestay)
    Food: $80-150 (on-campus), $80-150 (off-campus rental), included in homestay fee
    Transit to campus: $0 (on-campus), $20-45 (off-campus rental or homestay)
    Electricity & Gas Utilities: included in on-campus rent, $35 (off-campus rental), included in homestay fee
    Internet: $10-20 (everyone)
    Mobile Phone Plan: $15 (everyone)

    Total per week: $292-521 (on-campus), $325-565 (off-campus rental), $290-360 (homestay)

    Additionally, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is mandatory for all students studying in Australia and will be applied for at the time of application to your host university. You will be required to provide evidence of OSHC for the duration of your Student Visa at the time of your visa application. Also, remember to include things like visas, insurance, vaccinations, etc. in your budget planning.

  2. Funding

    Did you know that you can take your UCalgary funding with you on exchange? Since you remain a degree-seeking student at UCalgary while on exchange, you remain eligible for any awards and scholarships you are eligible to receive from the university as well as student loans.

    Our office administers several awards, including the Global Access Fund (based on a funding-first model where students apply prior to committing to a global learning program) and the Global Learning Award (students apply after being accepted to a global learning program; the amount varies year-to-year as the money is split among chosen recipients). Students may only receive these awards once. Please see the funding page, linked below, for more information.

ECU's student housing is on-campus, typically in apartments holding up to six private bedrooms with shared bathroom and kitchen, though some private apartments may be available depending on the campus. Students should expect to pay a minimum of AUS$200 per week, though they are encouraged to look into the detailed information provided for their desired campus. Pools are available at Mt. Lawley and Joondalup Campus accommodations. 

Historically, exchange students at ECU were guaranteed on-campus housing. Due to fluctuating housing demand in Perth, this may or may not be possible in the coming year. However, ECU has a variety of resources to support students in seeking accommodation off-campus or through the private market.

For more information about housing options, the following pages may be useful: 

This exchange is open to regular, full-time students in any faculty at the U of C, who have completed at least 1 full year (10 courses) at the post-secondary level, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.

What's special about Edith Cowan? 

Two campuses, Mt. Lawley and Joondalup, are located in Perth. Main campus is located at Joondalup, a green and vibrant campus located next to Joondalup train station and Lakeside Joondalup, the largest shopping centre in Western Australia. Joondalup also has an incredible outdoor tiered cinema with bean bags, perfect for movie nights. 

Mount Lawley is located close to Perth's CBD (Central Business District), and is where Hugh Jackman went to school! The campus has one of the Australia's most state-of-the-art Indigenous Centres - Kurongkurl Katitjin. The facility was designed in collaboration with the local Nyoongar peoples, and named from a Nyoongar phrase meaning “coming together to learn". 

For students staying an academic year, you can choose to spend your second semester (Fall at UCalgary) at the South West (Bunbury) campus. Bunbury is located 200 Km to the south (about 3.5 hours by coach) in the Edenic, spectacular Margaret river region. 

ECU has a smoke-free campus policy. Smoking on campus is not permitted. 

What resources are available for new students?

ECU runs a variety of informative and social Orientation events before the start of each semester.

The ECU Student Guild is a one-stop-shop for everything from social events, student clubs, secondhand textbooks, and advising support for academics, finances, wellness, and more.

There is also a Buddy Program that pairs incoming international students with local students for the best experience when transitioning to life on- and off-campus. 

What supports are available?

ECU's Equity, Diversity and Disability Services provide comprehensive academic support for students with disabilities. Information can be found in the Exchange Brochure, which is published online annually (download the PDF file titled "Study Abroad/Exchange Inbound Guide"). Also see the accessibility of campus on their mobility campus map. They also support the university's aims to create an environment that enables students to achieve their goals regardless of age, family responsibility or family status, impairment, gender, marital status, political convictions, pregnancy, race, religion or sexual orientation.

Joondalup and Mt. Lawley both offer Medical Centres, free counselling services, fitness centres/courts (Bunbury offers a mini-gym and courts), and support services at each campus. There are also childcare services & crèche options, parenting rooms and a kid's holiday program at both Perth campuses. Multi-faith prayer rooms are also available, in addition to Chaplaincy services.  

Have questions?

Global Learning 101

Please watch this short YouTube playlist before reaching out or booking an appointment. In these videos, you will learn much of the basics about Global Learning, which may answer your initial questions.

Watch Global Learning 101

Academic Advising

Before applying to study abroad, you should ask your academic advisor how this program might align with your degree (e.g. best time to go, what courses you need).

After you are accepted, you should ask your academic advisor more specific questions about courses/transfer credits. It’s also recommended to follow up with your advisor again once you return to Calgary.

Find your academic advisor

Global Learning Advising

If you have questions, please reach out to our office! We offer drop-in advising for general inquiries, and if you have questions about this specific program or any others, you can book an appointment with the responsible advisor.

Please use the link below to find the most up-to-date information about our current advising options.

View the Global Learning Advising page

The exchange advisor for this program is: Kathryn Bauer

How to Apply

Download the application guide

This PDF contains information on how to complete your application and what to do after you have applied.

Application guide

Identify three programs of interest

We recommend applying for your top three programs for the priority application deadline, as placement may be competitive. We will assess your applications in ranked order.

Check requirements and deadlines

These may vary by program, so check the individual program pages and make sure that you are aware of any different application deadlines or eligibility requirements.

Start your application

Once you have gathered everything you need, you can begin your application!

Please note: Applications will not be considered complete until all required documents are submitted in full.


International travel presents challenges that may not be found when attending classes on campus. There may be a lack of resources, emergency services, hospitals, accessibility issues and/or demands on the physical and the mental self, all of which can challenge individuals when away from their usual support systems and structures. Adequate preparation is essential.

For this reason, it is imperative that you evaluate all aspects of your own physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual condition against the rigors of the particular global learning program you are selecting. If you are unsure of whether or not this program is a good fit for you and/or if you have any circumstances that could impede your enjoyment of the program, please contact us. Our Global Learning Advisors will be happy to assist in finding the best options for you and arrange any supports or accommodations necessary to ensure your success.

If you have or are seeking a certificate from Student Accessibility Services, you should provide this early to your Global Learning Advisor to ensure that the option that you are seeking can support your needs.

Please note: All participants must adhere to COVID-19 and other vaccination-related requirements for the destinations visited on this program. Failure to do so may have consequences such as being denied access to accommodation/housing, program activities, or to the host country itself.