City University of Hong Kong

Let the lights of Hong Kong mark themselves indelibly in your memory - experience the city where East-meets-West and tradition embraces modernity.

City University of Hong Kong is one of the top 55 universities in the world, and accepted students will have an opportunity to experience a city birthed as a cosmopolitan crossroad and mecca for foodies, travelers, and lovers of incredible skylines.

Top 5 in the 50 universities under 50 years of age (QS 2019), CityU is known for it's highly ranked Communications & Media, and Business programs (top 30-48th in the world!). Located in Kowloon, central Hong Kong offers some of the world's cheapest Michelin restaurants, where you can enjoy a feast of savoury-sweet pork buns while taking in the views from the Star Ferry, all for less than $10. 

Key information




Fall, Winter, Academic year

Program type


Application information

Application status



2020-21 applications

Applications for Winter 2021 exchanges are still open. First come, first considered for remaining spaces!

University-specific additional requirements

One academic reference required - see the Eligibility section below.

2021-22 applications

Open Nov. 1, 2020

Program details

Areas of Study:

Animation /Game Design, Biology, BusinessChemistryChinese History & Language (Mandarin and Cantonese), Media & CommunicationsComputer ScienceEast Asian StudiesEconomics, Engineering (BiomedicalCivilElectronicEnergy [inc. sustainability]Materials, Mechanical, Systems), English, Information Systems, Japanese, Korean, LawLinguistics & Translation, Management, Marketing, Math, Physics, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Studies.

Course codes with a starting number between 1-4 are undergraduate courses. A list of courses for each semester is available under the course information and class schedule tab of the main exchange website.

Course Requirements:

Students are expected to take 12-18 credits per semester, and must take at least 50% of their courses from one faculty - please indicate the faculty you wish to apply to in your course list (as part of your RAISA application). 3 CityU units = 3 UCalgary units.

City U has two semesters A and B:

  • Semester A runs September to December
  • Semester B runs from January to May 


Exchange students pay their tuition and academic fees to the University of Calgary. Other expenses are paid directly to the service provider. 

City U lists a basic student budget to be estimated at HK$4,500 per month including meals, transport, laundry and education expenses for books and stationery. Also, remember to include things like visas, flights, insurance, vaccinations etc in your budget planning.

Hong Kong cost comparison vs. Calgary: Click Here (note: student housing is much cheaper than standard rent in HK)


Did you know that you can take your UCalgary funding with you on exchange? 
Since you remain a degree seeking student at UCalgary while on exchange you remain eligible for any awards and scholarships you are eligible to receive from the university as well as student loans.

Our office administers the International Study Travel Grant for students travelling on approved UCalgary study programs that are credit bearing. The amount changes year to year as the money is split evenly between qualified applicants. Students may only receive the study travel grant once. Please see the exchange funding page for more information.

China International Study Travel Award: $5000 offered annually to continuing undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Calgary. See funding page for more details. 

City U has 10 undergraduate residential halls, but due to limited capacity accommodation is not guaranteed to exchange students. Starting in 2019/20, student accommodation will be allocated through random ballot to exchange students through the application process, and a randomized lottery system distributes placements after the deadline. 

Student Residence offers shared double rooms and a limited number of single rooms disabled rooms and three-person rooms. Students will be normally assigned to share double or three-person rooms. The small number of single rooms will be firstly assigned to those who have medical reasons or special needs with supporting documents enclosed in the completed application. The residence fees are determined based on the room type.

Students who are not placed in residence or prefer to live off campus can get advice from the Student Residence Office.

This exchange is open to regular, full-time undergraduate students in any faculty at UCalgary, who have completed at least 1 full year (10 courses) at the post-secondary level, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 (B-). For Law students, an overall minimum GPA of 3.0 (B+) is required. 

Graduate level exchanges are not available at this partner. 

An academic reference is required for a complete application.

What's special about CityU and Hong Kong?

City U is ranked #49th in the world according to QS 2018, joining the ranking as one of Hong Kong's elite universities, and especially excels amongst Hong Kong universities in Linguistics & Languages, Psychology, Sociology, Politics/IR, Economics, Business, Engineering, Physics, Math, and Computer Sciences. City U is also one of the best universities in Hong Kong for its sports and athletic facilities, and sets records each year in a variety of sports competitions. The university now has over 400 athletes in 16 sports. 

All university campuses in Hong Kong prohibit smoking on campuses in accordance with Hong Kong law. 

Hong Kong is one of the world's most recognizable global metropolitan areas and provides a contrast between East and Western culture that is reflected in its rich culinary scene. The city holds records for having the most skyscrapers in the world, the world's longest life expectancy (at 86.7 years on average), the tallest outdoor bronze Buddha, the world's only exclusively double-decker tram system, and the largest permanent light & sound show - "A Symphony of Lights", to name a few. It's also ranked as the #1 student city to live in, in the world!

What supports or services are available at CityU?

City U's Flow centre manages a lot of student development and sports programming including the Walkie Talkers who conduct cultural and eco tours for non-local students. 

There is an International Friends Club that provides peer support to exchange students. Community service work projects are also arranged by the university. 

CityU offers a compact campus located near the base of a hill overlooking downtown Hong Kong, so while its location provides great views, it may not be ideal for those with mobility challenges - if you use a wheelchair or require mobility aides, please speak with the exchange advisor. 

What resources are available for new students?

CityU provides a wide range of services and amenities to ensure that students enjoy a rich campus life in a supportive environment. To help you to settle into your new environment and to adapt to the new culture, the Global Services Office (GSO) organises an orientation programme specifically designed for exchange students. This programme usually takes place one week before the semester begins. Students have an opportunity to meet both Hong Kong natives and international students, and visit sites in Hong Kong. The GSO announces the schedule for each exchange student orientation programme on its website ( about three weeks before the start of the semester.

Have questions?

Study Abroad 101

Please watch this YouTube playlist before reaching out or booking an appointment.

Watch Study Abroad 101

Academic Advising

Before applying to study abroad, you should ask your academic advisor how an exchange might align with your degree (e.g. best time to go, what courses you need).

After you are accepted, you should ask your academic advisor more specific questions about courses/transfer credits. It’s also recommended to follow up with your advisor again once you return to Calgary.

Find your academic advisor

Study Abroad Advising

If you have questions about this exchange program, you can meet with the specific advisor for this program by booking an appointment through the link below. Appointments are currently on zoom.

1. Select “Book an Appointment”
2. Select “Study Abroad Appointments”
3. Select “Book by Appointment Type”
4. Read through the list of appointment types to select the most appropriate type and view available times.

Book an appointment

The exchange advisor for this program is: Kathryn Bauer

How to Apply

Download the application guide

This PDF contains information on how to complete your application and what to do after you have applied.

Application guide

Identify three programs of interest

We recommend applying for your top three programs for the priority application deadline, as placement may be competitive. We will assess your applications in ranked order.

Check requirements and deadlines

These may vary by program, so check the individual program pages and make sure that you are aware of any different application deadlines or eligibility requirements.

Start your application

Once you have gathered everything you need, you can begin your application!

Please note: Applications will not be considered complete until all required documents are submitted in full.


International travel presents challenges that may not be found when attending classes on campus. There may be a lack of resources, emergency services, hospitals, accessibility issues and/or demands on the physical and the mental self, all of which can challenge individuals when away from their usual support systems and structures. Adequate preparation is essential.

For this reason, it is imperative that you evaluate all aspects of your own physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual condition against the rigors of the particular study abroad program you are selecting. If you are unsure of whether or not this program is a good fit for you and/or if you have any circumstances that could impede your enjoyment of the program, please contact us. Our Study Abroad Team will be happy to assist in finding the best options for you and arrange any supports or accommodations necessary to ensure your success.

Please note if you have or are seeking a certificate from Student Accessibility Services, you should provide this early to your Study Abroad Advisor to ensure that the option that you are seeking can support your needs.