Explore ii' taa'poh'to'p
Statement of Purpose
The Indigenous Strategy will guide the University of Calgary on its path of transformation and communicate its commitment and responsibility for truth and reconciliation. The strategy will remain a living document within the institution, whereby progress will be monitored and content and direction will be renewed through a process of evaluation and evolution.
Statement of Committments
In line with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action, and through the development and adoption of an Indigenous Strategy, the University of Calgary commits to:
- the process of reconciliation, which entails a collective journey that honours Indigenous peoples’ stories, knowledges, and traditions and the renewal and development of authentic relationships with Indigenous peoples and communities;
- establishing a welcoming, inclusive, and culturally competent campus community that respects, includes, and promotes Indigenous ways of knowing, teaching, learning, and research;
- creating and maintaining shared, ethical space inclusive of Indigenous peoples’ representation within the student body, staff, faculty, leadership, and governing structures;
- developing a campus community that understands the histories and worldviews of Indigenous peoples and the importance of connection to land;
- ensuring policies, practices and procedures are supportive and respectful of Indigenous ways of doing;
- creating space and processes for ongoing ‘full circle’ community engagement through dialogue with Indigenous communities and other institutional stakeholders; and
- ensuring sustainability and renewal of the Indigenous Strategy so it remains a current and dynamic agent for transformation for the university.
Conceptual and Cultural Models
Learn about the conceptual and cultural models that work in parallel to illustrate the guiding principals of ii' taa'poh'to'p
Learn about the meaning and significance of each of the symbols that make up the cultural model.
Progress update (2018)
What have we done over the past year to move the strategy forward? Read our annual progress update.