The Hunter Hub's WELab program is the first of its kind in Alberta. WELab is an entrepreneurship training program, designed to inspire and develop the next generation of women entrepreneurs, leaders and changemakers across diverse disciplines.
Open to: University of Calgary female-identifying undergraduate, graduate and post-doc students. Our workshops and resource page is also open to female-identifying staff and faculty members interested in building an idea into reality.
Program details: Our WELab program is the first of its kind in Alberta. WELab is a female entrepreneurship training program, designed to inspire and develop the next generation of women entrepreneurs, leaders and changemakers across diverse disciplines.
2019/2020 WELab Stream: STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). In upcoming years, we will focus on other disciplines to meet our students’ needs.
WELab program's goals:
- supporting networking and mentorship access for women entrepreneurs
- creating awareness of entrepreneurial resources across all disciplines
- strengthening business or entrepreneurial skills for women entrepreneurs in STEM
- supporting the participation of women entrepreneurs in traditionally under-represented sectors, specifically women of colour and Indigenous women in STEM
- supporting women to grow an existing business, social enterprise or side hustle in STEM and;
- supporting women in building a business, social enterprise or side hustle in STEM
WELab Digital Resource and Chat Portal:
- Please click here.
- Entrepreneurial training workshops: Beginning in October 2019, WELab will be offering entrepreneurial training workshops with experienced entrepreneurs, changemakers and leaders in STEM. All workshops will be recorded. Please see below for a listing of our recorded workshops.
- WELab Hub, a women entrepreneurship resource page: We will be offering resource page to centralize resources, templates, and funding sources for women entrepreneurs and changemakers.
- Networking events among other offerings throughout the year.
Mentor Volunteer Opportunities
We have mentor opportunities for experienced STEM entrepreneurs, innovators and professionals interested in supporting the next generation of female changemakers and entrepreneurs.
Format of workshops: Our entrepreneurial training workshops are 1-1.5 hours where entrepreneurs teach mentees a skill set related to their field. For each workshop, we include 20-30 minutes of Q&A for mentees/participants to ask specific questions to receive the mentorship they need to pursue their professional or entrepreneurial endeavours.
Number of participants per workshop: 25-30 (may change based on demand)
Mentor time commitment: To accommodate mentors' busy schedules, we have structured their involvement in a way that requires a 2 -5-hour commitment. The workshop is roughly an hour to an hour and a half and the remaining time is spent on mentors preparing their PowerPoint slide decks or presentation to teach mentees.
Here is an example of an alumni —Christiana Manzocco, teaching students participants how to build a consulting business in the same workshop format.
Workshop dates: We will be hosting WELab mentorship workshops in October 2019 to Summer 2020.
- Participants will be able to generate ideas, problems, solutions, and opportunities to create value and solve problems.
- Participants will be able to mobilize resources and build teams and networks of others around their ideas, solutions and opportunities.
- Participants will be able to move their ideas, solutions and opportunities into action.
- Participants will be able to optimize the impact of their ideas, solutions and opportunities by taking a global perspective.
Contacts: To register as a mentor, please contact Elise Ahenkorah, Programs and Partnerships Lead, WELab at firstname.lastname@example.org with your picture and biography to begin the process. Elise will follow up with details for setting up a workshop that aligns with mentors’ expertise.
Entrepreneurial Training Workshop Videos
1. Workshop: Building Social Enterprises in STEAM
Mentor - Dr. Gina Cherkowski - Founder of STEM Learning Lab and Chief Innovation Officer and Co-Founder of EdgeMakers
On Wednesday, October 30th, the first WELab mentorship workshop was hosted. Attendees gathered valuable entrepreneurial advice and expertise from Dr. Cherkowski. To view the workshop, please click here.
If you are interested in aligning your organization with a program that positions your commitment to building the next generation of leaders and creates a talent pipeline for future staff, please contact email@example.com for more details.