Deeply explore an issue that matters to you and share your findings with the world
Hosted by the Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship at the University of Oxford, Map the System is a one-of-a-kind interdisciplinary challenge that requires participants to use a systems-thinking approach to demonstrate a deep understanding of a pressing social or environmental challenge. In the inaugural UCalgary Map the System program in 2021, over 60 students from 12 faculties participated.
- Join a global movement committed to systems change
- Compete for $5000 in cash prizes at UCalgary competition during Entrepreneurial Thinking Week in late March. Winners have the opportunity to compete at the Canadian finals, and Canadian winners go on to the global competition
- Learn new innovation skills to address the world’s most pressing issues and bolster your resume
- Bring awareness to a social or environmental issue you are passionate about
- Connect with socially-conscious students, researchers, and practitioners from across UCalgary and Canada
- Earn a Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning badge in systems thinking to enrich your co-curricular record.
We're here to support you
Experienced experts will help you learn the foundational skills and approaches you need to impact societal problems.
Your team will be assigned a coach from the Hunter Hub, Haskayne School of Business, or Innovate Calgary who will offer 1:1 coaching throughout your project.
Tools & resources
You'll have access to a variety of resources and tools that social innovators use as you develop your project.
Jan. 14, 2022
Information Session (Zoom)
Jan. 31, 2022
Map the System Student Registrations Due
Feb. 2, 2022
Feb. 9, 2022
Research Methods Workshop
Feb. 16, 2022
Systems Mapping Workshop
March 2, 2022
Human-Centred Design Workshop
March 9, 2021
Mapping Information Systems Workshop
March 16, 2022
Storytelling and Communications Workshop
March 23, 2022
Presentation Coaching Workshop
March 27, 2022
Deadline for UCalgary Student Submissions
March 29, 2022
UCalgary Map the System Competition
May 4, 2022
Canadian National Final (May 4-6)
May 9, 2022
Global Finalists Announced
June 16, 2022
Watch the info session
On January 14, the Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking hosted an info session for UCalgary students to learn more about Map the System.
Watch the recording to hear from Isabel Evern, the Hunter Hub's Social Innovation Specialist, who showcased the benefits of the program while answering your questions.
Frequently asked questions
Did we miss your question? Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know what you're curious about, and we'll get back to you with answers.
Don't forget to watch our info session to learn more about the program.
Map the System is a global competition of University of Oxford's Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship, delivered in partnership with educational institutions around the world. From its inception in 2015, the competition challenges participants to use systems thinking as a guiding approach to understanding some of the most complex issues the world faces today.
UCalgary undergraduate students, graduate students, and recent alumni (within 1 year) are eligible to participate in UCalgary's Map the System program.
Map the System can be completed by teams of 1 to 5 people. You don't have to join with others, but it is strongly recommended given the workload.
We are hosting a facilitated team building workshop during the February 2 Orientation session. This is a great place to meet others interested in working on problems you're passionate about.
As a participant in UCalgary's Map the System program, you will receive:
- A guidebook with directions that will move you through the program
- Access to a D2L page with relevant resources such as the Impact Gap Canvas, Systemic Design Toolkit, and Causes Diagram worksheets, and weekly discussion boards that will help you connect with other teams for peer-to-peer support
- Research Methods
- Human-Centred Design
- Systems Mapping
- Storytelling and Communications
- Coaches and subject matter experts from the Hunter Hub, Haskayne School of Business, and Innovate Calgary who can help you with your project
- Taylor Family Digital Library librarians
Workshops are highly recommended. They will provide a space for you to develop new knowledge, actively work on your projects and receive feedback, and connect with other participants. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions about the various tools and methods that are introduced throughout the program.
Participants are expected to take a system thinking approach to their research analysis and present their findings in three ways: visual, written, and verbal.
1. Written submission materials
Visual systems map(s)
Written systems analysis (up to 3000 words)
The presentation is the part of this competition that most closely mimics a pitch competition, but only insofar as participants are telling a story. Teams will present a visual representation of their systems map.
This program is free to join.
UCalgary finalists will also have a chance to compete for a share of $5000 in cash prizes awarded at our local competition. The winning UCalgary finalist will have a chance to compete for one of four $2000 prizes at the Canadian finals, and a chance to win a spot in the global finals.
Ready to join us?
Watch the Map the System info session to learn more about the program.
Check out the program schedule and deliverables to familiarize yourself with what to expect.
Join a team
Rally a group of friends interested in social impact, or join our team building workshop at the February 2 Orientation Session to find a group.
Have your project idea and a team put together? Apply online to secure your spot in this year's program. Registration is open until January 31, 2022.