Indigenous entrepreneurs represent the largest growing segment of the population*, and there are many unique resources available to support them.
The Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking supports the University of Calgary’s commitment to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive campus. While we encourage all students to take advantage of the opportunities that are available for entrepreneurial thinking here at the Hunter Hub, we recognize that sometimes these aren’t enough.
We are committed to engaging with Indigenous peoples and communities in conversation and continuously working together to create new opportunities to support their entrepreneurial goals.
Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking
- Futurpreneur Canada has opportunities for Indigenous entrepreneurs aged 18-39 to apply for funding.
- The National Aboriginal Capital Corporations Association (NACCA) provides a list of institutions that provide loans and funding for First Nations, Metis, and Inuit businesses across Canada.
- The Alberta Indian Investment Corporation is an Indigenous owned investment company that provides lending and business resources for Alberta’s Indigenous residents.
- BDC provides options for loans and financial advice for Indigenous entrepreneurs.
- Futurpreneur Canada provides a suite of resources and a team of Indigenous advisors to support entrepreneurs through all stages of setting up a new venture.
- The Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business offers programs and opportunities for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal communities to work together.
- The Government of Canada’s site with several resources specifically for support First Nations, Inuit, and Metis communities, including funding and social programs.
- Alberta Women Entrepreneurs’ NextStep to Success in a business planning series designed specifically for Indigenous women.
Indigenous Women’s Entrepreneur Program (NACCA) (Funding Opportunities Available)
- The NACCA provide research, resources, workshops and tools specifically aimed at addressing needs of female Indigenous entrepreneurs.
- This funding program is designed for Indigenous women. Currently applications are closed but there is contact information available on the site to learn more.
Contact the Hunter Hub if you have any questions about how our programming could be a good fit for you.