Getting Started: A Guide for New Grad Students
Learn the ropes and settle into your new life by following the steps and advice outlined in these pages.
Begin with the Pre-arrival page detailing how to accept and confirm your admission and more. Then head to the Arrival page for must do’s once you are on campus. As you get started, see the First Term Guide to learn more about who you should connect with while you are here.
Graduate Orientation (GradO)
Discover the resources and meet the people that will help you succeed as a graduate student at the University of Calgary.
GradO is held twice per year:
- First week of September
- Within the first two weeks of January
International Student Services (ISS) offers an orientation earlier in the day for international students. Registration for both events opens one month prior to its scheduled date.
Thesis-base students - Presentation
Course-based students - Lunch
Thesis-based students - Lunch
While you are waiting for your first term to start, check out our Virtual Orientation. This video series, narrated by UCalgary grad students, provides a primer on what you can expect in grad school. Download the GradO Starter Kit to use as a reference throughout your program. The GRADgreet, our newsletter for new grad students, is also saved here along with presentation slide decks from GradO.
- The Graduate Calendar: An essential and authoritative source of information for graduate students.
- Graduate Supervisors and Supervision: Learn how to work with your graduate supervisor
- My GradSkills and Student Services: Find out how the university can help you prepare for life during and after graduate school.
- Health and Wellbeing in Grad School: University resources supporting the health and wellness of graduate students.