Fall 2021 FAQ

Find the latest information about our return to campus this fall.

Looking forward to the fall 2021 term

We’re excited to have the UCalgary community together in-person again this fall!

We know that many of you will have questions – so we’ll update and add to this FAQ page as new information becomes available.

The fall 2021 schedule has now been updated with finalized course delivery information. You can log in to your Student Centre (my.ucalgary.ca) to see how your courses will be delivered.

You can learn how to view and understand your course delivery information here.

If you need help understanding your course information or making changes to your schedule, you can connect with our Enrolment Services team.

First, check to see if there’s an online version of the course being offered. Faculties may have options to support students who cannot come to campus.

If there's no online version, or the one offered is full, connect with an academic advisor (or, for graduate students, your supervisor or program director) to discuss your other options for courses. You can find contact information for your faculty’s advising office here.

If you are an international student concerned that unexpected immigration challenges could prevent you from attending classes, reach out to our International Student Services team at issimmigration@ucalgary.ca.

If you have concerns about returning to campus based on a medical condition, please contact our Student Accessibility Services team at access@ucalgary.ca for help and guidance.

Our goal is to be as supportive as possible to students who face challenges in coming to campus for the fall. If you need support from one of the offices listed here, please don’t hesitate to connect. We want to help however we can!

Yes. Details about residence services, safety protocol and more will be updated throughout the summer on the Residence Services COVID-19 FAQ.

Based on current guidance from Alberta’s Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health, we don’t expect physical distancing measures to be required on campus by the start of the Fall 2021 term. We will continue to follow provincial guidelines and adjust as needed.

Vaccination will not be a mandatory requirement for returning students.

The University of Calgary supports vaccination and is focused on removing barriers to individuals to access vaccines.

We are working with Alberta Health Services to open a vaccine clinic on campus and we will make an announcement soon.

We are offering medical information around vaccines to address vaccine hesitancy within our campus community.

In Alberta, it is not possible to require vaccines or insist on knowing vaccine status of individuals. However, we emphatically support the value of vaccines and the importance of vaccination

If you don’t have any in-person course components, you don’t need to come to campus. If a course is online, the final exam for that course will also be online.

Keep in mind that, with the UCalgary community returning to campus, this fall will be an exciting time with many opportunities to enjoy your university experience with other students – so you may want to come to campus and participate.

The university continues to work very closely with Alberta Health Services to ensure our return to campus strategy aligns with the latest health guidelines. As it has been since the start of the pandemic, your safety is our top priority.

If there are positive COVID-19 cases on campus, the university will continue to proceed according to the latest Alberta Health Services regulations.

The last day to add, drop, or swap a course is September 17. The last day to drop a class without financial penalty is September 16.

You can view more important dates on UCalgary’s Academic Schedule.

Blended courses include both in-person and online meetings. 

Online course components (including the online portion of blended courses) can be synchronous or asynchronous:

  • Synchronous course components are scheduled at specific times. Students must participate or engage at the scheduled times.
  • Asynchronous course components are not scheduled at specific times. Students may engage with the course material when it is convenient for them.

For more information, including how to check if your online course component is synchronous, asynchronous or hybrid, visit the Office of the Registrar website

Additional information for international students

We know that, for many international students, additional preparation is required for travelling to Canada for the fall — so we want to support you as much as possible. 

We're looking forward to seeing you in Calgary!

Yes. While some individual classes may be offered online or in blended format, as they were before COVID-19, we currently expect that the majority of classes will be in-person.

If you have not already done so, please apply for your study permit and begin making travel plans now.

Do not arrive more than one month in advance, since you may be refused entry by Border Services.

You can find detailed and up-to-date travel requirements on the Government of Canada website. These requirements have frequently changed over the past year and will likely change again prior to September, so be sure to check back often prior to travelling.

You will also need to let UCalgary know your arrival date. Learn more on our UCalgary quarantine guidelines page.

We know that, for many international students, additional preparation is required for travelling to Canada for the fall — so we want to support you as much as possible. If you have questions or require support regarding immigration challenges, reach out to our International Student Services office at issimmigration@ucalgary.ca

If you will not be able to travel to Canada, check to see if there are online course options available. Faculties may have options for students until they are able to arrive on campus. Your faculty’s advising office (or, for graduate students, your supervisor or program director) may be able to help with selecting courses that are appropriate, given your situation. Note that, although you do not require a study permit to begin your courses online, we strongly recommend you apply now so that you can travel when the study permit is approved — and so that any time spent studying online outside of Canada can count toward Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) eligibility.

First, check the International Student Services COVID-19 FAQ page. If you don’t find the information you need, you can email our International Student Services team at iss@ucalgary.ca. The team also has immigration advisors who can provide information and advice.