Complexity Science Seminar
- Andre Longtin (University of Ottawa): The physical limits of sensory detection, focus and control
March 16, 2018, 4pm, SB148
- Mark Robbins (John Hopkins University): A “Rough” View of Friction and Adhesion
Dec. 1, 2017, 4pm, SB142
- Rashid Williams-Garcia (University of Pittsburgh): Unveiling causal activity of complex networks
July 11, 2017, 3pm, SB512A
- Bruce Shaw (Columbia University): Shake and Break: Earthquake Physics & Fault Geometry
April 10, 2017, 11:15am, SB146
- Karin Dahmen (University of Illinois): Universal slip statistics: from nanocrystals to earthquakes?
March 10, 2017, 4pm, SB144
- March 16, 2016, 2pm, SA245
Talk by Javier Orlandi (University of Barcelona).
Title: Noise focusing and the emergence of coherent activity in neuronal cultures
- Nov. 20, 2015, 4pm, SB142
Talk by John Beggs (University of Barcelona).
Title: The pattern of information flow in networks of cortical neurons
- Thursday, May 9th 2013 (11am, SB105)
Talk by Ehud Meron (Blaustein Institutes for Desert Research & Physics Department, Ben-Gurion University).
Title: Pattern formation - a missing link in the study of ecosystem response to climate change
- Friday, April 13th 2012 (2-3pm, ST126)
Talk by Rainer Klages (Queen Mary University London)
Title: "Statistical Physics of Biological Motion: Crawling Cells and Foraging Bumblebees"
- Tuesday, April 10th 2012 (4-5pm, SB142)
Talk by Anita Mehta (S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Science, Calcutta, India)
Title: "Competing Synapses with Two Timescales: A Basis for Learning and Forgetting"
- Tuesday, January 24th 2012 (4pm SB501)
Talk by Maksim Kitsak (San Diego Supercomputer Center)
"Hyperbolic Geometry of Complex Networks"
- Wednesday, August 17th 2011(4pm SB148)
Talk by Dr. Clinton McCracken and Dr. Zelma Kiss (University of Calgary)
"Therapeutic Brain Stimulation: Applications and Mechanisms"
and Introduction to Concepts, Problems, and Data of Deep Brain Stimulation for Treating Movement Disorders
- Monday, April 11 & 18, 2011 (3:15pm, SB501)
Talk by Mark Naylor (University of Edinburgh)
"Exploring the limits of earthquake forecasting"
- Thursday, March 10, 2011 (11am, SB501) and Friday, March 11, 2011 (4pm, SB142)
Talk by Stefan Böttcher (Emory University, Atlanta)
"Large Fluctuations and Optimization using Extremal Dynamics"
- Monday, September 20, 2010 (11:00 am, SA 121)
Talk by Kenneth Showalter (C. Eugene Bennett Chair of Chemistry, West Virginia University)
"Dynamical Quorum Sensing, Synchronization and Clusters in Populations of Excitable and Oscillatory Catalytic Particles"
- Thursday, March 25, 2010 (12:00 pm, SA121)
Talk by Prof. Sherrington (Oxford University)
"Martensitic shape-memory alloys: novel pseud-spin glasses?"
- Friday, February 5, 2010 (3pm, SB 146)
Talk by Flavio Fenton (Cornell University)
"Spiral waves and the heart"
Department of Physics & Astronomy Colloquium jointly sponsored by the Complexity Science Group, MITACS and the Center for BioEngineering Research & Education
- Friday, November 20, 2009 (3pm, SB 501)
Talk by Matteo Marsili (ICTP Trieste, Italy)
"Assessing the relevance of structural features in networks"