RESIDENCE COVID -19 UPDATES
These FAQs will be regularly updated as the situation evolves.
Here is a resource guide to help answer questions residents might have and to help find support during this time.
As of Jan. 15, 2021:
Q. Will Residence Services provide me a self-isolation unit if I travel from an international location?
- Incoming international students who have an active residence booking and are arriving from outside of Canada are able to self-isolate in Residence, click for more info.
International students enrolled at the University of Calgary (and their immediate co-arriving family members), are eligible for the International Border Testing Pilot programs, so long as they also meet the requirements.
- Residence Services will not be offering self-isolation for non-residents.
Q. Will masks be mandatory on campus?
- A. Yes. Campus non-medical mask protocol
For the safety of our campus community, UCalgary students, faculty, staff, as well as visitors to campus, will be required to wear non-medical masks in indoor public spaces at all Calgary campuses.
Students living in residence buildings will be required to wear non-medical masks when they step out of their unit/apartment—all common areas, elevators, lobbies, hallways and laundry rooms etc.
Q. Will Residence be open for Winter 2021?
- A. Yes, we will be open for the Winter 2021 term. Residence Services will be sending out offers starting mid-November.
Q. When is Winter move this year?
- A. Students moving into residence this winter will receive an email from Residence Services with information about move-in. Visit our website for more information.
Q. Will The Landing be open for the Winter 2021 term?
- The Landing will be open for takeout until further notice for the Winter 2021.
Q. Can I make residence payments in person?
- Students can pay through bank transfer and Global Pay. UCalgary Affiliates can pay in-person or over the phone by calling our office at 403-220-8300.
Q. What is residence doing in order to lower the risk to students living on campus?
- Residence Housekeeping is following AB Health procedures by enhancing cleaning and disinfecting schedules for all shared spaces and high touch surfaces.
- All common areas have been closed for the fall term.
Q. Does the University of Calgary have self-isolation rooms?
- Yes, Residence does have rooms set aside for self-isolation for those residents living with us that need to self-isolate. More info
Q. Is there a central contact to direct questions about COVID-19 or self-isolation in residence?
- Yes, firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you believe you have COVID-19, please visit the Alberta Health Services website where you can complete a self assessment and receive further information.
Q. Am I allowed guests in residence?
- Residents who live alone should abide by Alberta Health Services' guidelines regarding close contacts. Residents living alone are allowed to have two (2) close contacts to regularly interact with in their unit. Close contacts can include non-residents, and individuals from outside of a resident's building.
- Residents living in a unit with another person (ie. at least one roommate) are allowed to have one (1) additional close contact from outside of their unit. Close contacts can include non-residents, and individuals from outside of a resident's building.
- A resident's close contacts should remain the same and not change.
- Unless otherwise specified above, existing policies regarding guests as outlined in the Residence Services Agreement and Residence Community Standards shall apply.
Q. What is physical distancing?
- Physical distancing is essential to limiting the spread of the virus and protecting your health. These measures are vitally important and in place to maintain everyone’s health and safety.
- Government of Canada information on the importance of preventing COVID – 19, hygiene, cleaning, how to self-isolate and other resources to help flatten the curve.
Q. Will the community kitchens in YA and IH stay open?
- The kitchens in YA and IH are closed for safety measures and will stay closed until further notice.
- Hot plates can be purchased from Residence Services front desk, for residents that are living in two and three-bedroom suites in these buildings.
Q. Can Residence Services hold my parcels that I plan on sending prior to my arrival to Calgary?
- Yes, we can hold the parcels in the Campus Service Centre until you are able to pick them up after your self-isolation.
Q. Since I am a visiting scholar, will Residence Services help me with miscellaneous gadgets - computer, cell phone?
- Please contact your faculty and supervisor regarding this request. Residence Services will be unable to provide you any miscellaneous gadgets.
Q. Since I am a visiting scholar, will Residence Services provide me a self-isolation unit?
- Incoming international scholars and visitors will be responsible for arranging their own self-isolation off campus, unless they have an active booking with Residence.
Q. Will there be any changes to the Residence Agreement to incorporate Covid-19?
- Yes, there is a Covid - 19 addendum that residents must follow along with Community Standards and the Residence Agreement. You can find all information on our website.