RESIDENCE COVID -19 UPDATES
These FAQs will be regularly updated as the situation evolves.
Here is a resource guide to help answer questions residents might have and to help find support during this time.
As of May 21, 2020:
Q. Will Residence be open for Fall 2020?
- A. Yes, we will be open for the Fall 2020 term. Currently, Residence Services is in the process of evaluating building assignments and will update residents mid-June of any changes.
Q. Are all the Residence Services Office open?
- A. The Crowsnest Office is closed, but the main Residence Services office in the Dining Centre is still open.
Q. Will students be required to go home?
- We are requesting domestic residents to go home if possible. We understand there may be some challenges for international students in returning home with recent announcements regarding international flight cancellations. We want to ensure you we will continue to support students with housing during this period.
Q. Will the Landing remain open if the University shuts down and Residence stays opened?
- The Landing is closed as of April 30, 2020.
- Check The Landing website for further updates.
Q. Can I make residence payments in person?
- Residence Services is no longer taking in person payments. Students can pay through bank transfer and Global Pay. UCalgary Affiliates can pay over the phone by calling our office at 403-220-3210.
Q. I have decided to leave Residence, what are my next steps?
- A. If you are planning to leave for the remainder of this term, fill out and hand in this vacating notice. If you choose to return home you will receive a prorated refund for residence.
- B. If you have already moved out, please fill out the vacating notice and inform our office at email@example.com that you have left. This notice is required to initiate your refund. Your pro-rate will only be assessed from the date that you informed our office of your departure.
- C. You are required to clean your unit prior to vacating.
Q. Can I catch COVID through the vent systems in Residence?
- A. No. The virus is spread through contact which means: touching a person or object directly, such as door handles that have droplets on them from an infected person’s cough or sneeze. Unwashed hands contaminated with COVID-19 can introduce the virus to your body when you touch your eyes, mouth or nose.
Q. What is residence doing in order to lower the risk to students living on campus.
- A. Residence Housekeeping is following AB Health procedures. Phase I: We have increased cleaning in high touch points in residence. Housekeeping will disinfect and clean self-isolation rooms 24 hours after the rooms have been vacated.
- Electro static sprayer will be used in high gathering areas, common areas, kitchens etc.
Q. Does the University of Calgary have self-isolation rooms?
- A. Yes, Residence does have rooms set aside for self-isolation for those residents living with us that need to self-isolate..
Q. Is there a central contact to direct questions about COVID-19 or self-isolation in residence?
- A. Yes, firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you believe you have COVID-19, please visit the Alberta Health Services website where you can complete a self assessment and receive further information.
Q. What happens to my belongings if i have already left?
- A. Inform Residence Services that you have left at email@example.com. Residence services will then bag and label all of your items and keep them in storage for 30 days for yo to make plans to pick them up. Residence Services is not responsible for any missing or damaged items.
Q. Does Residence have storage lockers that are available for rent?
- Yes, storage lockers are available. Please contact Residence Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Q. Am i allowed guests in residence?
- A. Residence has implemented a no guest policy at this time.
Q. How can I contact my Community Advisor?
- Community Advisors are on call 24/7. They have new phone numbers to be reached at.
Q. What is physical distancing?
- Physical distancing is essential to limiting the spread of the virus and protecting your health. These measures are vitally important and in place to maintain everyone’s health and safety.
- Government of Canada information on the importance of preventing COVID – 19, hygiene, cleaning, how to self-isolate and other resources to help flatten the curve.
Q. Do I have to purchase my own toilet paper?
- Yes, students are required to purchase their own toilet paper.
Q. Are there new fire alarm muster points?
- To help with physical distancing, there are new muster points during fire alarms.
Q. Will the community kitchens in YA and GV stay open?
- The kitchens in YA and GV have been closed for safety measures and will stay closed until further notice.
- If residents in these buildings would like to move to a unit with a kitchen, please fill out this form.
- There are hot plates for purchase from Residence Services front desk, for residents that wish to stay in these buildings.
Q. Will Residence Services provide me a self-isolation unit if I travel from an international location prior to the start of the fall term?
- We are unable to guarantee space since this depends on the availability of vacant units in residence. To be proactive, we suggest you plan for other self-isolation options off campus.
Q. Can i have someone to help me in buying and delivering groceries and cleaning supplies to the self-isolation location?
- We will be unable to deliver groceries and cleaning supplies to your location. However there are several online delivery services that you can use to get supplies to your location.
Q. Can Residence Services hold my parcels that I plan on sending prior to my arrival to Calgary?
- Yes, we can hold the parcels in the residence office until you are able to pick them up after your self-isolation.
Q. Since i am a visiting scholar, will Residence Services help me with miscellaneous gadgets - computer, cell phone?
- Please contact your faculty and supervisor regarding this request. Residence Services will be unable to provide you any miscellaneous gadgets.