August 17, 2021
Q. I am a fully vaccinated international student who will be arriving in the fall. Am I exempt from the 14-day quarantine?
- IRCC - Easing of restrictions for International students and travel to Canada – Effective August 9, travellers entering Canada will no longer need to complete the 3-day hotel quarantine.
- IRCC - Government of Canada's first phase to easing border measures for travellers entering Canada - Effective July 6, 2021, fully vaccinated travellers who are able to enter Canada will not need to quarantine or take a COVID-19 test on day-8
- IRCC - Study Permit: COVID-19 program delivery - contains policy, procedures and guidance for study permits during COVID.
- IRCC - Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Visitors, temporary workers and students - Information on how COVID is affecting temporary residence applications for Canada.
- IRCC - Flights suspended for India - Details on flights suspended from India
- Alberta: Covid-19 Vaccine Program - Learn more about the COVID vaccine program in Alberta
If you plan to travel to Canada for the fall 2021 term, make sure you understand the quarantine requirements you will need to follow and review the Travel Canada website requirements for all travellers coming to Canada.
Q. Will Residence Services provide me a quarantine unit if I travel from an international location?
- Incoming international students who have an active residence booking and are arriving from outside of Canada can quarantine in Residence, click for more info.
Residence Services will not be offering quarantine units for students who don’t have an active fall residence booking.
Q. Will masks be mandatory on campus?
- To promote a healthy and safe learning, working, and living environment, non-medical face masks must now be worn in all public indoor areas UCalgary where physical distancing is not possible.
The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and the U.S. Centre for Disease Control (CDC) both formally recommend mask use indoors. Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw also recommends mask usage to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Masks are not necessary to be worn on campus under the following circumstances:
- Working alone in private offices
- Working outdoors and there is a minimum of 2 metres between people
- Meeting indoors and there is a minimum of 2 metres between people
- Working alone in a shared space
- Working in a cubicle with plexiglass, wall, or other approved barrier between people and when not providing services to anyone
- In a classroom where there is a minimum of 2 metres between instructor or among students
Q. Will there be rapid COVID-19 testing available?
- Starting September 1 students, faculty, and staff who are not fully vaccinated, and those who would prefer not to disclose their vaccine status, will need to regularly complete a rapid screening test and receive a negative result before they participate in in-person activities. More info
Q. What is residence doing to lower the risk to students living on campus?
- Residence Housekeeping is following AB Health procedures by enhancing cleaning and disinfecting schedules for all shared spaces and high touch surfaces.
Q. Does the University of Calgary have self-isolation rooms?
- Yes, Residence does have rooms set aside for self-isolation for those residents living with us that need to self-isolate. More info
Q. Is there a central contact to direct questions about COVID-19 or self-isolation or quarantine in residence?
- Yes, email@example.com
- If you believe you have COVID-19, please visit the Alberta Health Services website where you can complete a self assessment and receive further information.
Q. Am I allowed guests in residence?
- Unless otherwise directed by AHS, existing policies regarding guests as outlined in the Residence Services Agreement and Residence Community Standards shall apply. As a reminder, residents must also comply with health and safety directions issued by staff.
Q. What is physical distancing?
- Physical distancing is essential to limiting the spread of the virus and protecting your health. These measures are vitally important and in place to maintain everyone’s health and safety.
- Government of Canada information on the importance of preventing COVID – 19, hygiene, cleaning, how to self-isolate and other resources to help flatten the curve.
Q. Will the common area spaces such as social lounges, academic lounges, community kitchens, and other community spaces stay open?
- Yes, all common area spaces in residence buildings will be open for the Fall 2021 term.
Q. Can Residence Services hold my parcels that I plan on sending prior to my arrival to Calgary?
- Yes, we can hold the parcels in the Campus Service Centre until you are able to pick them up after your self-isolation.
Q. Since I am a visiting scholar, will Residence Services provide me a quarantine unit?
- Incoming international scholars and visitors will be responsible for arranging their own quarantine off campus, unless they have an active booking with Residence.
Q. Am I able to cancel my booking and transfer my booking to the Winter 2022 term or receive a refund of my advance payment?
- We will be following the advance payment refund policy, unless one of the following reasons apply:
- Study visa not approved
- There are travel restrictions from your country
- Your classes are all online
- To cancel your booking and request a refund or transfer your booking to Winter 2022, you must email the Campus Service Centre with reasoning along supporting documentation.
Q. Will I be able to receive a COVID-19 vaccine while I am in Calgary?