These FAQs will be regularly updated as the situation evolves.

Here is a resource guide to help answer questions residents might have and to help find support during this time.

November 3, 2021

Q. Am I required to be fully vaccinated to be on campus?

  • Effective January 1, 2022, all students must be Fully Vaccinated and have provided Proof of Vaccination to the University through the COVIDSafe Campus web platform (My Thrive Health) in order to register for in-person classes. For clarity, any student who is not Fully Vaccinated and has not provided Proof of Vaccination may continue to take on-line classes that are available. The University will not necessarily have on offer classes of their choice on-line, and will take no responsibility for delays in graduation that result from being unable to take classes of their choice.
  • We are waiting to hear from the University what the mandate for residence will be. We will update this once we have been informed.

Q. I am a fully vaccinated international student who will be arriving in the fall. Am I exempt from the 14-day quarantine?

Please review the IRCC website for travel exemptions for students and the ISS COVID-19 FAQs page before making plans to travel:

If you plan to travel to Canada for the fall 2021 or winter 2022 term, make sure you understand the quarantine requirements you will need to follow and review the Travel Canada website requirements for all travellers coming to Canada.

Q. Will Residence Services provide me a quarantine unit if I travel from an international location?

  • Incoming international students who have an active residence booking and are arriving from outside of Canada can quarantine in Residence, click for more info.
  • Residence Services will not be offering quarantine units for students who don’t have an active fall residence booking.

Q. Will masks be mandatory on campus?

  1. To promote a healthy and safe learning, working, and living environment, non-medical face masks must now be worn in all public indoor areas UCalgary where physical distancing is not possible.

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and the U.S. Centre for Disease Control (CDC) both formally recommend mask use indoors. Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw also recommends mask usage to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Masks are not necessary to be worn on campus under the following circumstances:

  • Working alone in private offices
  • Working outdoors and there is a minimum of 2 metres between people
  • Meeting indoors and there is a minimum of 2 metres between people
  • Working alone in a shared space
  • Working in a cubicle with plexiglass, wall, or other approved barrier between people and when not providing services to anyone
  • In a classroom where there is a minimum of 2 metres between instructor or among students

Q. Will there be rapid COVID-19 testing available?

  • Starting September 1 students, faculty, and staff who are not fully vaccinated, and those who would prefer not to disclose their vaccine status, will need to regularly complete a rapid screening test and receive a negative result before they participate in in-person activities. More info

Q. What is residence doing to lower the risk to students living on campus?

  • Residence Housekeeping is following AB Health procedures by enhancing cleaning and disinfecting schedules for all shared spaces and high touch surfaces.

Q. Does the University of Calgary have self-isolation rooms?

  • Yes, Residence does have rooms set aside for self-isolation for those residents living with us that need to self-isolate. More info

Q. Is there a central contact to direct questions about COVID-19 or self-isolation or quarantine in residence?

Q. Am I allowed guests in residence?

Q. What is physical distancing?

  •  Physical distancing is essential to limiting the spread of the virus and protecting your health. These measures are vitally important and in place to maintain everyone’s health and safety.
  • Government of Canada information on the importance of preventing COVID – 19, hygiene, cleaning, how to self-isolate and other resources to help flatten the curve.

Q. Will the common area spaces such as social lounges, academic lounges, community kitchens, and other community spaces stay open?

  • Yes, all common area spaces in residence buildings will be open for the Fall 2021 term.

Q. Can Residence Services hold my parcels that I plan on sending prior to my arrival to Calgary?

  • Yes, we can hold the parcels in the Campus Service Centre until you are able to pick them up after your self-isolation. 

Q. Since I am a visiting scholar, will Residence Services provide me a quarantine unit?

  • Incoming international scholars and visitors will be responsible for arranging their own quarantine off campus, unless they have an active booking with Residence.

Q. Am I able to cancel my booking and transfer my booking to the Winter 2022 term or receive a refund of my advance payment?

  • We will be following the advance payment refund policy, unless one of the following reasons apply:
    • Study visa not approved
    • There are travel restrictions from your country
    • Your classes are all online
  • To cancel your booking and request a refund or transfer your booking to Winter 2022, you must email the Campus Service Centre with reasoning along supporting documentation.

Q. Will I be able to receive a COVID-19 vaccine while I am in Calgary?

  • Student Wellness Services and Varsity Pharmacy in the MacEwan Student Centre have vaccinations available by appointment. More info visit the Alberta Health Services website or the UCalgary International Student Services website