RESIDENCE COVID -19 UPDATES
These FAQs will be regularly updated as the situation evolves.
Here is a resource guide to help answer questions residents might have and to help find support during this time.
As of Oct. 16, 2020:
Q. Will masks be mandatory on campus?
- A. Yes. Campus non-medical mask protocol
For the safety of our campus community, UCalgary students, faculty, staff, as well as visitors to campus, will be required to wear non-medical masks in indoor public spaces at all Calgary campuses.
Students living in residence buildings will be required to wear non-medical masks when they step out of their unit/apartment—all common areas, elevators, lobbies, hallways and laundry rooms etc.
Q. When is Winter move this year?
- A. Students moving into residence this winter will receive an email from Residence Services with information about move-in. Visit our website for more information.
Q. Will Residence be open for Winter 2021?
- A. Yes, we will be open for the Winter 2021 term. Residence Services will be sending out offers mid-November.
Q. Will The Landing be open for the Winter 2021 term?
- The Landing will be open for dine-in service for the Winter 2021 term with unlimited All You Care To Eat Meal plans, including a full-service model where staff will assist students with various food and beverage items. Following Alberta Health Services guidelines, there will be reduced seating capacity, enhanced cleaning procedures, and directional and physical distancing signage.
Q. Can I make residence payments in person?
- Students can pay through bank transfer and Global Pay. UCalgary Affiliates can pay in-person or over the phone by calling our office at 403-220-8300.
Q. What is residence doing in order to lower the risk to students living on campus?
- Residence Housekeeping is following AB Health procedures by enhancing cleaning and disinfecting schedules for all shared spaces and high touch surfaces.
- All common areas have been closed for the fall term.
Q. Does the University of Calgary have self-isolation rooms?
- Yes, Residence does have rooms set aside for self-isolation for those residents living with us that need to self-isolate. More info
Q. Is there a central contact to direct questions about COVID-19 or self-isolation in residence?
- Yes, email@example.com
- If you believe you have COVID-19, please visit the Alberta Health Services website where you can complete a self assessment and receive further information.
Q. Am I allowed guests in residence?
- Residence has a no guest policy for the 2020/2021 academic year.
Q. What is physical distancing?
- Physical distancing is essential to limiting the spread of the virus and protecting your health. These measures are vitally important and in place to maintain everyone’s health and safety.
- Government of Canada information on the importance of preventing COVID – 19, hygiene, cleaning, how to self-isolate and other resources to help flatten the curve.
Q. Are there new fire alarm muster points?
- To help with physical distancing, there are new muster points during fire alarms.
Q. Will the community kitchens in YA and IH stay open?
- The kitchens in YA and IH are closed for safety measures and will stay closed until further notice.
- Hot plates can be purchased from Residence Services front desk, for residents that are living in two and three-bedroom suites in these buildings.
Q. Will Residence Services provide me a self-isolation unit if I travel from an international location prior to the start of the fall term?
- Incoming international students who have an active fall residence booking and are arriving in are able to self-isolate in Residence, click for more info.
- Residence Services will not be offering self-isolation for non-residents.
Q. Can Residence Services hold my parcels that I plan on sending prior to my arrival to Calgary?
- Yes, we can hold the parcels in the residence office until you are able to pick them up after your self-isolation.
Q. Since I am a visiting scholar, will Residence Services help me with miscellaneous gadgets - computer, cell phone?
- Please contact your faculty and supervisor regarding this request. Residence Services will be unable to provide you any miscellaneous gadgets.
Q. Since I am a visiting scholar, will Residence Services provide me a self-isolation unit?
- Incoming international scholars and visitors will be responsible for arranging their own self-isolation off campus, unless they have an active booking with Residence. Self-isolation hotel rates.
Q. Will there be any changes to the Residence Agreement to incorporate Covid-19?
- Yes, there is a Covid - 19 addendum that residents must follow along with Community Standards and the Residence Agreement. You can find all information on our website.