On behalf of Chancellor Robert Thirsk and President and Vice-Chancellor Elizabeth Cannon, we are pleased to announce the Honorary Degree recipients and Order of the University of Calgary inductees for the spring 2017 convocation ceremonies:
Monday, June 5, 2 p.m.
- Honorary Degree Recipient: Murray Sinclair. Chief Commissioner of the historic Truth and Reconciliation Commission, Sinclair is a member of the Senate of Canada and one of Canada’s first aboriginal judges.
- Order of the University of Calgary Recipient: Jo-Ann Munn Gafuik. As senior specialist – policy and FOIP at University of Calgary Legal Services, Munn Gafuik has devoted 30 years of service to upholding the highest policy standards at UCalgary.
Tuesday, June 6, 9:30 a.m.
- Honorary Degree Recipient: Andrew Brash. UCalgary alumnus, passionate mountain climber, explorer and high school teacher, Brash is credited with saving the life of Australian climber Lincoln Hall during an expedition on Mount Everest.
- Order of the University of Calgary Recipient: Lynn Taylor. Taylor is the inaugural vice-provost (teaching and learning), and a vocal champion of innovative and engaging teaching methods that spark passion in students.
Tuesday, June 6, 2 p.m.
- Honorary Degree Recipient: Jay Ingram. A Canadian bestselling author, broadcaster and science advocate, Ingram is also co-founder of the Beakerhead arts, science and engineering movement.
- Order of the University of Calgary Recipient: Gordon Moore. Moore is a professor of chemical and petroleum engineering at UCalgary’s Schulich School of Engineering, and a renowned teacher and leader in thermal oil recovery processes.
Wednesday, June 7, 9:30 a.m.
- Honorary Degree Recipient: Peter Mansbridge. Mansbridge is an award-winning Canadian news anchor, investigative journalist and cultural icon, and was recently inducted to the Canadian News Hall of Fame.
Wednesday, June 7, 2 p.m.
- Honorary Degree Recipient: Mary Simon. Special representative to the minister of Indigenous and Northern affairs on Arctic issues, Simon is an Indigenous rights activist, former president of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, and co-creator of the Arctic Council.
Thursday, June 8, 9:30 a.m.
- Honorary Degree Recipient: George Cooper. President Emeritus of the University of King’s College, Cooper is a former member of parliament, a renowned lawyer and managing trustee of the Killam Trusts.
Thursday, June 8, 2 p.m.
- Honorary Degree Recipient: William Pulleyblank. UCalgary alumnus and former faculty member, Pulleyblank is an award-winning academic, researcher and former vice-president of IBM.
- Order of the University of Calgary Recipient: Bonnie MacRae-Kilb. MacRae-Kilb is a noted alumna and UCalgary Senator, former member of the Canadian Women’s Volleyball team, Dinos Hall of Fame inductee, visual artist, philanthropist and a champion of the arts.
Friday, June 9, 9:30 a.m.
- Honorary Degree Recipient: David Robson. A trailblazer in geophysical information systems and 3D imaging of oil reservoirs, Robson is also an award-winning entrepreneur and philanthropist.
More information about these honourees and spring convocation ceremonies will be posted in the coming weeks.